Fray Bentos Finally Come Clean Over Pies

classic33

Legendary Member
Local time
7:05 PM
Fray Bentos have finally admitted that the amount of meat in their pies has dropped after droves of furious customers complained online.

The iconic tinned pies, which come in a number of flavours, have all been criticised for being 'no filling all pastry' by hungry customers - because they are less chunky than normal

Disappointed consumers even claimed 'deep fill' pies were lacking substance - despite the company vowing the recipe hasn't changed

But manufacturers Baxters have now conceded there is less filling in the budget meals - despite previously claming they still had 'the same great taste'

A spokeswoman said: "Inflationary pressures for commodities made it essential to review the product formulations in 2017. "Customer feedback has been that maintaining a competitive price point has been important to them. As a result, some meat percentages were reduced in line with competitor products during 2017.

"We are continually monitoring feedback as a result of any product changes."

Horrified meat-eaters took to consumer website A Spokesman Said to criticise the meatless treats, claiming they were lacking in meat and had 'very nasty fat'.

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/news/...ious_customers_complain_about_pies__contents/

Somewhere, @Yorky and I had a bit of an exploration of these pies... with photos. I can't find the thread right now but maybe @Yorky can. I do remember that the one I tried was seriously lacking in filling.

I'm not sure which thread it was in. I remember mentioning it in my thread on the halogen oven #13

Last edited by a moderator:
I used to like their pies, especially when I was living in or staying in accommodation without an oven. It's over 10 years since I last bought one. The one thing that you could rely on was that the recipe never changed. I won't be getting any more.

This brand is unfamiliar to me. I looked it up. On their home page I found this quote.

In 1868 George and Margaret Baxter, borrowed £100 to open a small grocery shop in Fochabers, Scotland producing jams and jellies. They started out with a mission: ‘Be different, be better’.

George and Margaret must be rolling over in their graves.

I used to like their pies, especially when I was living in or staying in accommodation without an oven. It's over 10 years since I last bought one. The one thing that you could rely on was that the recipe never changed. I won't be getting any more.

They are about £4.50 each here! :eek::eek:

How do you cook them without an oven?

They're smaller than they were in '87. They were 7 inches in diameter, now they're only 6 inches!!

Back
Top Bottom