Fray Bentos Finally Come Clean Over Pies

@morning glory

IDK about tinned. Frozen pies in a box that can be cooked in the oven or microwave have been around for a long time. We call them Pot Pies.

This is a brand that I like. They are that pretty when cooked in the oven.

chicken-pot-pie-36702.png

Marie Callenders also makes sweet pies, main dishes and sides all frozen and ready for the oven. The pot pies are a "guilty pleasure". Only when G is out of town.

@morning glory

IDK about tinned. Frozen pies in a box that can be cooked in the oven or microwave have been around for a long time. We call them Pot Pies.

This is a brand that I like. They are that pretty when cooked in the oven.

chicken-pot-pie-36702.png

Marie Callenders also makes sweet pies, main dishes and sides all frozen and ready for the oven. The pot pies are a "guilty pleasure". Only when G is out of town.

We get these type of things too and they can be quite good - but the tinned are a thing unto themselves as you will see. I cooked one today and will post results later.

Very similar to the boxed Pot Pies. When cooked in the oven the bottom is reasonably cooked. Not so much in the microwave.

IDK why I am so fond of Pot Pies. Easy and comforting. I sometimes go mad and add a poached egg and grated chees on top - and a pat of butter. Smush it all together and eat until I am ready to pop. Must make sure to take both HBP and cholesterol meds.:laugh:

IDK - if I had to guess US food producers hit on using boxes instead of tins to cut down on cost without reducing the price of the product. Bigger profit and more $$$$ in their pockets.

Last edited:
Fray Bentos give you the "pan/tray" to cook it in. Just not in a microwave.

Very similar to the boxed Pot Pies. When cooked in the oven the bottom is reasonably cooked. Not so much in the microwave.

IDK why I am so fond of Pot Pies. Easy and comforting. I sometimes go mad and add a poached egg and grated chees on top - and a pat of butter. Smush it all together and eat until I am ready to pop. Must make sure to take both HBP and cholesterol meds.:laugh:

IDK - if I had to guess US food producers hit on using boxes instead of tins to cut down on cost without reducing the price of the product. Bigger profit and more $$$$ in their pockets.

When I said 'underneath' I meant under the underside of the top pastry lid. The pies have no pastry on the bottom!

How do you cook them without an oven?
We used to open the tin, and then put it in boiling water for several minutes until the filling was nice and hot. Then they would go in the rotisserie (which doubles as a table top oven) to finish the pastry off. The rotisserie didn't get as hot as a conventional oven and couldn't cope with cooking the pie from cold.

They should end up looking like this
View attachment 13399
Used to have two for dinner, cooked in the powder coating oven at work.

Then one day someone didn't cut the top of the tin, leaving it sealed...

Mine never come out looking like that!

Here is the strange abomination Prince's Chicken Balti Pie!

20180203_133620.jpg

Here is how it looks with the lid off (not exactly promising).

20180203_133939.jpg

After cooking (doesn't look too bad from the outside).

20180203_142902.jpg

However...

20180203_143119.jpg

As you can see the underside of the pastry lid is soggy. This is how the ones I cook always end up. Partner doesn't care - he actually likes the soggy part!

I can't remember ever having one that the underside wasn't soggy. But I'm no expert.

Mine never come out looking like that!

Here is the strange abomination Prince's Chicken Balti Pie!

View attachment 13432

Here is how it looks with the lid off (not exactly promising).

View attachment 13433

After cooking (doesn't look too bad from the outside).

View attachment 13434

However...

View attachment 13435

As you can see the underside of the pastry lid is soggy. This is how the ones I cook always end up. Partner doesn't care - he actually likes the soggy part!
Princess, not Fray Bentos though!
An American copy.

My western food supplier has these "special offers" today (normally 190 BAHT (£4.32)):

FRAY BENTOS PIES STEAK/KIDNEY, MINCE BEEF/ONION, CHILLI BEEF
ANY 3........................................................................170 BAHT EACH (£3.86)
ANY 6........................................................................160 BAHT EACH (£3.64)
ANY 9........................................................................150 BAHT EACH (£3.41)

I don't think I'll bother.

Back
Top Bottom