Freezing fresh ginger

Local time
1:31 AM
I have a recipe that calls for a small amount of fresh grated ginger, but it's a must for the recipe -- can't leave it out. I hate wasting the rest of the ginger root. Even when I buy the absolute smallest one I can find, there's still so much left over (the recipe calls for less than a teaspoon). I know I can grate the remaining and freeze it, but I'm not sure how long it will freeze? Are there any storage tips, like, should I separate it out into usable portions or just store it all together in a bag? Thanks!

I don't think I have heard of freezing ginger before. I usually just keep the rest of the root on the shelf in the kitchen and it will last a couple of weeks by which time I have used it in another recipe. It does stay fresh for quite sometime by itself. several months I believe.

Thanks! I got so caught up on trying to figure out how to freeze it that I never even considered that I could just keep it on a shelf! That seems much easier and makes a whole lot more sense. Sometimes the brain just doesn't compute the simple stuff; I am always overthinking! :)

We always keep the remaining ginger that was left every time we are cooking that needs only a small portion for cooking. Because instead that it will be spoiled easily we always peel off the remaining part and put in a zip locked plastic bag in the freezer for long shelf life and we are doing this for a long time ago. A there is no problem if we are cooking a dish that need the use of ginger we just get it out in the freezer and it still taste like fresh and we can still smell its aroma while we are cooking.

I freeze it and grate it from frozen,fresh ginger when you need it , doesn't dry out , just watch your fingers

Well, freezing it would help it keep longer. I would go with freezing it if it was grated as mentioned above but if you still have it pretty much as whole I normally wrap it & keep it by my garlic & onions.

Like you, I frequently find myself only needing ginger every so often and ending up with a pretty good chunk of the root left. I absolutely freeze it, and in fact, don't grate it first. I just put the entire thing in a ziplock and freeze as is. With a sharp enough knife, it is pretty easy to cut while frozen. Then I just cut hunks of it off as I need them and let them thaw.

I've been using it more and more in my beef bone broth. I find that it is the exact ingredient to make the flavor profile of what I crave when I drink broth. But it only takes a small nub, so I just cut a hunk and throw it in while my broth simmers.

I have a recipe that calls for a small amount of fresh grated ginger, but it's a must for the recipe -- can't leave it out. I hate wasting the rest of the ginger root. Even when I buy the absolute smallest one I can find, there's still so much left over (the recipe calls for less than a teaspoon). I know I can grate the remaining and freeze it, but I'm not sure how long it will freeze? Are there any storage tips, like, should I separate it out into usable portions or just store it all together in a bag? Thanks!

What my family does is basically just wrap the garlic in plastic wrap and leave it in the fridge. Then, when you take it out again, just cut off a bit at the end and you're good to go

Back
Top Bottom