Freezing herbs

Yorky

RIP 21/01/2024
Local time
8:45 AM
I've never attempted this before and I'm starting with coriander leaf and flat leaf parsley. Just a few springs of each went into the freezer this morning. I left the coriander "whole" with roots but chopped up the parsley.

Has anyone else tried it with any success?

flat leaf parsley s.jpg

I usually chop most of mine up finely and freeze them in the ice cube trays. I've never frozen coriander leaves or parsley because I normally buy them as living plants and leave them on the window sill, and I don't need to freeze basil leaves as basil seems to grow well in my kitchen and I just pick them as needed. Mint on the other hand runs riot until the weather turns cold, so I do freeze that to see me through the winter. However, I froze so much last year, I have only just managed to use it all and didn't bother buying another plant. I am now using dried mint.

The only problems I have with growing herbs are (1) if I grow them outside, the hound will at least eat them, and (2) if I grow them indoors, I have to protect them from the cats who will also eat them given the chance.

I have done sometimes but generally buy them as needed. I've got bay, rosemary, sage in the garden. I buy frozen kaffir lime leaves and they are brilliant - the flavour is as good as fresh. One good thing about frozen herbs is you don't really need to defrost unless you are using in a salad.

I have done sometimes but generally buy them as needed. I've got bay, rosemary, sage in the garden. I buy frozen kaffir lime leaves and they are brilliant - the flavour is as good as fresh. One good thing about frozen herbs is you don't really need to defrost unless you are using in a salad.

It's a trial run. It costs me nowt.

@morning glory

In Spain, a balcony ( balcona ) is very narrow & tiny and it barely sits one chair. Many people use them for air drying laundry ..

A terrace ( terraza ) which can be either be left totally exterior or enclosed totally or enclosed in part ..
It is usually quite large depending on the building & runs the length of one´s entire apartment where as a balcony is usually just a tiny outdoor space running the length of the floor to ceiling window in a salón and / or bedroom ..

The herbs have grown so much that now we are giving some pots to my parents and in laws. We have very sunny exposure and they have just taken over too much of the terrace ..

@morning glory

In Spain, a balcony ( balcona ) is very narrow & tiny and it barely sits one chair. Many people use them for air drying laundry ..

A terrace ( terraza ) which can be either be left totally exterior or enclosed totally or enclosed in part ..
It is usually quite large depending on the building & runs the length of one´s entire apartment where as a balcony is usually just a tiny outdoor space running the length of the floor to ceiling window in a salón and / or bedroom ..

The herbs have grown so much that now we are giving some pots to my parents and in laws. We have very sunny exposure and they have just taken over too much of the terrace ..

Oh - I see. For some reason I though you lived in an upper floor apartment. I've no idea why! Did you grow the parsley from seed? And what is the herb on the right of the parsley photo?

Last edited:
@morning glory

We live on the top floor in Barcelona. And have an apartment in Cadaques which we use when we go see our sons and parents and in laws, daughter in laws and 2 six year old grandsons .. This apartment is a dúplex and we have 2 floors .. It is what we would call a town house ..

Spearmint ( hierbabuena) if I recall as I am not home and each is marked .. I am up at my parents .. It is 17.00 and we are getting ready to drive down to Bcn. 2 hours. I make an herbal infusión from it ..

I gave alot of these herbs to my parents, in laws and daughter in laws. We just had too too many ..

Have a nice day.

Back
Top Bottom