Recipe Fresh coconut cake

medtran49

Forum GOD!
Local time
2:49 AM
Again, no picture, as it's been several years since I've made this cake. I got the recipe from my Aunt Pat, who had made it for a family gathering one year. I've made it several times and it really is worth getting fresh coconut. If you don't have access to fresh coconut, you can sometimes find coconut in the ethnic part of the freezer case, you could also try the fruit and dessert section. Otherwise, buy the unsweetened coconut.

Three 9-inch cake pans

Cake
1 cup butter, softened
2 cups sugar
4 eggs
3 cups self-rising flour
1 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp butter flavoring

Grease and flour three 9" baking pans. Preheat oven to 350 F.

Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs 1 at a time, beating well after each. Add flour and milk, alternating, starting and ending with milk. Add flavorings. Divide batter equally between 3 pans. Bake 25-30 minutes until tester comes out clean. Cool completely.

Coconut filling
Coconut water from 1 coconut (see note if you don't have a fresh coconut) plus enough milk to make 1 cup of liquid. Combine with 1-1/3 cups of sugar in a saucepan. Bring to a boil and cook until slightly thickened, stirring constantly. Cool.

Sour cream frosting
One 16-ounce container of sour cream
2 cups sugar
3 cups grated coconut
1-1/2 cups frozen whipped topping (like Cool-Whip), thawed

Combine all ingredients, mix well. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before using.

To put cake together, place bottom layer on your cake plate, poke holes with a toothpick or cake tested and pour 1/3 of coconut filling/syrup over. Place next layer, poke holes, and pour another 1/3 of coconut filling/syrup over. Repeat for remaining 3rd layer. Frost. Place cake in refrigerator in an air-tight container for 2 or 3 days before serving so that the coconut flavor permeates the cake.

NOTE: To make coconut water, blend 1/4 cup unsweetened coconut with 1 cup water in a blender or with an immersion blender. Strain to remove pulp.

An interesting idea to use the coconut water in a cake. I should think this is a very coconut tasting cake.

Back
Top Bottom