• Frozen

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

classic33

Legendary Member
Local time
6:50 PM
Title says it all really, do you prefer you food fresh or frozen?

I've had the luxury of eating fresh vegetables, dug only the time required to wash and cook them. Meat that was less than 24 hours old. Fish caught the same morning, for breakfast.

Now it's nearly all pre-packed, frozen that's the cheapest option.

Vegetables:
Apart from peas (which freeze brilliantly) broad beans, green soya beans and sweetcorn, I'll always choose fresh or even nearly fresh. A lot of veg don't freeze too well IMHO; carrots, sprouts, broccoli etc... they all become slightly water laden and tasteless.

Meat:
Frozen and defrosted works fine but I'd probably choose fresh if available.

Fish:
For shellfish, lobsters, crabs and prawns then fresh wins hands down. I wouldn't even consider eating frozen lobster. Frozen raw prawns are a good product if you can't get fresh. And the fish I've bought fresh and then frozen myself is pretty good. Fish fingers are best frozen! :D

Peas and Sweetcorn frozen. Everything else, fresh.
I have had the luxury of the largest veg plot I could manage, a separate greenhouse and various herb patches and grew most of my own veg for 3 seasons a year. I have that luxury again (minus the greenhouse, but I suspect it may not be needed in Australia). I am more than happy to grow my own and know what works and what is too much effort for the space and return. Fresh, picked as needed is always best in my opinion.

Peas and Sweetcorn frozen. Everything else, fresh.
I have had the luxury of the largest veg plot I could manage, a separate greenhouse and various herb patches and grew most of my own veg for 3 seasons a year. I have that luxury again (minus the greenhouse, but I suspect it may not be needed in Australia). I am more than happy to grow my own and know what works and what is too much effort for the space and return. Fresh, picked as needed is always best in my opinion.
I agree - but chance would be a fine thing of me ever having the energy or dedication to grow veg. BTW, if you haven't tried frozen green soya beans (sometime called edamame) then do. In my opinion they freeze as well as peas do. But obviously, if you can get them fresh or grow them, then great.

Fresh, fresh, fresh. I use frozen very seldom. Fresh, fresh, fresh. Guess I made my point. I'll have to explore the freezing some more but fresh rules.....

Fresh, fresh, fresh. I use frozen very seldom. Fresh, fresh, fresh. Guess I made my point. I'll have to explore the freezing some more but fresh rules.....
You've caught the goose you'd be having for dinner in two days time then?

You've caught the goose you'd be having for dinner in two days time then?
Schucks.....I completely forgot about the "geese" but if I had my way I'd still prefer them fresh. I wouldn't want to see the slaughter or anything but I still prefer fresh things all around. What I prefer isn't always what I get.

I'd prefer them fresh, but I don't always cook...so after a while I find them uneateble. That's why I usually use the frozen vegetables (not the onions and potatos tho)...and the meat...yeah, the meat is always frozen.

Our meat is bought fresh, then we freeze it. I wish we could get decent produce fresh but since we don't live in a million people + population, we get second runs. So mostly frozen and canned.

Back
Top Bottom