Fried Bread

I sometimes wonder why its deemed so unhealthy. A dollop of mayo has as much fat for example. Does it become healthy if the bead is fried in olive oil?
I think the old "eating fat will make you fat" fallacy comes into play, as fried bread is so obviously steeped in fat, oil whatever. Fair point about the olive oil. Would using wholemeal bread and olive oil suddenly make it healthy? Personally, I'd rather eat the unhealthy version less often. I don't have much time for supposedly healthy (usually "low fat") versions of food. A work colleague of my wife is obsessed about low fat this and low fat that. She looks at me nonplussed when I point out how many spoonfuls of refined sugar are in the "healthy, low fat" yoghurt she is eating for lunch - but she'd never dream of putting a spoonful of sugar in the coffee!

Last edited:
OK, so, what is fried bread vs frybread.

Is it just a slice of regular bread fried in some kind of oil/fat?

I can easily see frying thick slices of a sturdy bread in bacon fat, or lamb fat, or lard.
That looks like skillet toast.

Heya, Cin. Where ya been?

I would imagine it's the same thing.

Have you ever seen Native American frybread down by you? I've only seen it on TV/read about it.

Heya, Cin. Where ya been?

I would imagine it's the same thing.

Have you ever seen Native American frybread down by you? I've only seen it on TV/read about it.
Hi. We were on vacation. We went camping in Brownwood, Texas.
I can't say I've ever seen fry bread. Not even when I lived in Albuquerque.

As an adult, I can't remember having fried bread except for as part of a "full English " cooked breakfast at a B&B, but it's not always included.
As a child, my mother regularly cooked it.

However, bizarrely, I had some on Thursday, when a few of us went to a local coffee shop / bistro for lunch. I had the most delicious cauliflower and truffle soup that was served with some lovely slices of fried bread on the side. It was much nicer than a few cubes of crouton sprinkled on.

I've never made it!! I wouldn't know how much fat to use, or how hot, is it better to use stale or fresh bread?

As an adult, I can't remember having fried bread except for as part of a "full English " cooked breakfast at a B&B, but it's not always included.
As a child, my mother regularly cooked it.

However, bizarrely, I had some on Thursday, when a few of us went to a local coffee shop / bistro for lunch. I had the most delicious cauliflower and truffle soup that was served with some lovely slices of fried bread on the side. It was much nicer than a few cubes of crouton sprinkled on.

I've never made it!! I wouldn't know how much fat to use, or how hot, is it better to use stale or fresh bread?
I use about 2 tablespoons of butter or margarine, let that melt, cook on about medium till browned. As per bread, whatever you have. If you can make a grilled cheese sandwich, you can make fried bread.

Back
Top Bottom