Fried Milk

kgord

Veteran
Local time
12:36 AM
Last night when I was in search of another outlet to plug in my kindle, I came upon a cookbook that I must have been looking at, and put aside..anyway, it was a Food and Wine 2005 award winning recipe cookbook, and it is the kind of cookbook I hate because every recipe took like 20 ingredients..but anyway, I digress, I saw a recipe in there for fried milk which is supposed to be a Spanish recipe. Has anyone ever heard of this? It would be intereresting to try...but I think making it myself would drive me up a tree..as it requires a big cooking, freeze thaw cycle.

Last night when I was in search of another outlet to plug in my kindle, I came upon a cookbook that I must have been looking at, and put aside..anyway, it was a Food and Wine 2005 award winning recipe cookbook, and it is the kind of cookbook I hate because every recipe took like 20 ingredients..but anyway, I digress, I saw a recipe in there for fried milk which is supposed to be a Spanish recipe. Has anyone ever heard of this? It would be intereresting to try...but I think making it myself would drive me up a tree..as it requires a big cooking, freeze thaw cycle.

That is a new one on me! I've never heard of it before. :unsure:

Had leche frita in Spain ,fried milk flavoured with cinnamon and lemon,different street food dessert but not every ones favourite

Had leche frita in Spain ,fried milk flavoured with cinnamon and lemon,different street food dessert but not every ones favourite
Quite right. And not really fried milk but fried custard. Not very difficult to make. Its a chilled set firm custard made of milk, eggs, sugar and cornstarch. Then cut in squares, dipped in egg and flour or sometimes egg and breadcrumbs and fried. Then sprinkled with sugar.

I will have to go google this now and see what it is all about. You have me intrigued. I have never heard of fried milk before.

Yes, it seems whenever I mention this people become intrigued. It certainly isn't common. I thought it was something unique so I had to read about it. It is somehing I would undoubtedly try, but not make. It sounds like it would be difficult.

Yes, it seems whenever I mention this people become intrigued. It certainly isn't common. I thought it was something unique so I had to read about it. It is somehing I would undoubtedly try, but not make. It sounds like it would be difficult.
Its not difficult! You always think things are difficult @kgord.:happy:. I suppose I'm going to have to make it just to prove how easy it is. I think its just cubes of chilled egg custard dipped in egg and breadcrumbs (or flour) and fried. I'll have a bash at it and post the result.

Last edited:
Well Fried Milk just topped the weirdest food recipes I read about today. We have our own version of fried milk here in Asia called leche flan. It's really good because of the cream and the brown sugar. After you put it in the oven you have to place it in the freezer for it to harden. It's a really sweet dessert.

I found a picture that looks closest to the only I had at a potluck today. One of the things they had there was this. I had no idea that it was fried milk as well. I did enjoy the taste, it was a tad bit sweet for me. It made me think of really sweetened mochi.
piciSWccZ.jpg

I found a picture that looks closest to the only I had at a potluck today. One of the things they had there was this. I had no idea that it was fried milk as well. I did enjoy the taste, it was a tad bit sweet for me. It made me think of really sweetened mochi.
piciSWccZ.jpg

Well, I said I'd give it a try. The custard is now setting in the fridge! That was easy peasy to make and took me only five minutes in the microwave. :D Next stage is to cut into chunks and coat in either flour or breadcrumbs. I can't decide which as I've found recipes for both...

Your picture looks like they are coated in breadcrumbs.

Well, I said I'd give it a try. The custard is now setting in the fridge! That was easy peasy to make and took me only five minutes in the microwave. :D Next stage is to cut into chunks and coat in either flour or breadcrumbs. I can't decide which as I've found recipes for both...

Yep breadcrumbs and then powdered sugar. I've been badgering my friend about her recipe and she's going to show me some more of her recipes like this one involving milk. I really did like this one of hers. Surprised me and I will make it again with less sugar on it!

Well, I have made flan before, which is a similar recipe. I do really llove flan, but I used a mix when I made it. I should post the Kraft food recipe I have for ohh oh, I can't think of the name of the dessert right now. It is Italian and delicious. It is on the order of the fried milk, flan type order. Oh wow, I think it begins with a P. It has just flown out of my head.! :chef::eek: OK, now I remember, it is Panna Cotta.

How'd it turn out, @morning glory? I think it sounds pretty good - but I'm a big custard fan so I was already won over pretty easily!

It turned out very well. My son and his girlfriend gobbled them up. Its a bit fiddly dipping the pieces of set custard in the flour, egg and breadcrumbs but otherwise its a very easy recipe. All told it took me about twenty minutes from start to finish (plus setting time in the fridge). I served them with cinnamon sugar to dip. Here is how they came out:

IMGP0421.jpg

And here is the set custard (with half used up):

IMGP0431.jpg

Back
Top Bottom