Fried Potatoes - bring on your ideas!

Chicken n corn soup is one of my faves. I make it Chinese style. It's also my sons fave. We used to go to an all you can eat Chinese place when my kids were young. My son had about 10 bowls. We still laugh about it. Lol.

Russ

Knishes are of Jewish cuisine, and chicken soup is also called Jewish penicillin.

And Jews go to Chinese restaurants on Christmas day, so I can see how this all fits together, lol.

Chicken n corn soup is one of my faves. I make it Chinese style. It's also my sons fave. We used to go to an all you can eat Chinese place when my kids were young. My son had about 10 bowls. We still laugh about it. Lol.

Chicken and corn soup was a staple included in the 3 bob "businessmen's" lunch at Chinese restaurants in the 60s. I doubt whether it had ever seen a chicken though.

When I was a kid, I couldn't stand peas We rarely had fresh peas, so I didn't know how good they could be.

Anyway, my mother would steam these large, disgusting, dented looking grey peas to have with dinner.
I'm not sure why, but we called them army peas. I guess it was a reference from my dad's years of service in WWII, and his stories of how bad the food was then.

Anyway, the only way I could eat them was to mix them into mashed potatoes. In fact, most soft veggies were mixed into mashed potatoes, from lima beans to cabbage.

My dad wpuld laugh and call it American style bubble and squeak. I didn't know that there was an actual dish with that name. I thought it had more to do with flatulence after eating grey veggies.

Those grey peas were treasured by my Dad @buckytom - at least I think you are referring to “blue boilers” which are a whole dried pea that are a grey colour. Dad would boil them until mushy after soaking overnight, season then serve with meat pies & mashed potato.

I think these were a common ration during the war years - Dad was born in 1932 and they were pretty poor, meat was scarce, half a pigs head was the common roasting cut, lamb shanks which the butchers used to throw out - very fancy these days with nose to tail in style.

Sorry. Still veering off thread.

Those grey peas were treasured by my Dad @buckytom - at least I think you are referring to “blue boilers”
I'm now thinking twice about this and wondering if these are Carlin Peas which are a delicacy! There is a thread about mushy peas here. And I posted about Carlin Peas - see this post.

I have some in the cupboard!

Last edited:
Frizz, my mother used to buy those cuts of meat as well. One of the throw aways that she made so well were oxtails.

But, I'm sure these were not any kind of gourmet pea.

Their main reason for existence was to make me gag...

Unless there was enough mashed and gravy, of course, bringing this thread back on track.

Last edited:
But, I'm sure these were not any kind of gourmet pea.

No they aren't really gourmet peas but they are a type of dried pea traditional in Lancashire where they are eaten with vinegar sprinkled on top. These are the brand I have - from https://hodmedods.co.uk/products/black-badger-carlin-peas
OWCP-Organic-Black-Badger-Carlin-Peas-1200x800_2048x.jpg

Screen Shot 2018-10-13 at 14.06.58.png

Hmm, my dad ate the army peas with Worcestershire sauce on them.

I've come to like peas (almost any kind) with Worcestershire as well. And tomatoes, cauliflower, turnips, parsnips, etc..

Last edited:
Hmm, my dad ate the army peas Worcestershire sauce on them.

I've come to like peas (almost any kind) with Worcestershire as well. And tomatoes, cauliflower, turnips, parsnips, etc..

Ever try corn fritters with Worcester sauce over them, I love them. We buy it in 5 litre pails.

Russ

Back
Top Bottom