Recipe Fried sage leaves

MypinchofItaly

Forum GOD!
Local time
2:45 AM
Website
mypinchofitaly.co.uk
A quick recipe for a delightful starter!

Serves: 2 | Preparation time: 5 mins | Cooking time: 5-8 mins

• Sage leaves, big: 10
  • Eggs: 2
  • Italian 00 flour: to taste
  • Breadcrumbs: to taste
  • A pinch of salt
  • Peanut oil (for deep-frying)
Method

Wash the sage leaves and gently dry them up with a cloth.

Prepare three bowls: fill the first one with flour, beat up the eggs in the second one, and pour the breadcrumbs in the third bowl. Place them in this same order on the kitchen counter: this will make it easier to follow the right procedure when preparing the leaves.
Take one sage leaf and coat it in the flour, then dip it into the beaten eggs; finally, coat it in breadcrumbs.
Repeat this process for every leaf.

Heat up the peanut oil in a frying pan. To check whether the oil is hot enough to deep-fry the leaves, you can test it with a toothpick: when you dip the toothpick in the oil, bubbles must form around it.

Deep-fry the sage leaves. Be careful to fry only a small amount of leaves at a time, because you must remove them from the oil as soon as they become golden.
Place them on a plate lined with kitchen paper to absorb the oil in excess, and sprinkle them with a pinch of salt.

Serve the sage leaves hot and crispy and enjoy this guilty pleasure!

Tip: if you don’t have breadcrumbs at hand, worry not: you can use corn flour or blend crackers and bread-sticks in the mixer. Either will make a perfect breading.

Fried-sage-leaves-1.jpg

Nice! I always think of fried Sage leaves (without the bread crumbs), in butter sauce, served with pumpkin ravioli.

Nice! I always think of fried Sage leaves (without the bread crumbs), in butter sauce, served with pumpkin ravioli.

Thank you! The sage leaves fried in butter and served with pumpkin ravioli are fabulous! It's a seasoning that I like so much, even for a simple dish of gnocchi. Fried sage is a recipe that my mom makes even though they are fairly well known around here. I gladly grind it as soon as I can.

I've also seen them dipped in chocolate - or was it mint leaves?

That sounds interesting. I've really only had them "fried" on saltimbocca and as a non breaded, fried garnish.

Then again, you never know :wink:

When I went on Walkies/hikes in the national forests and Parks, I used to collect Sage leaves, but was never quite sure if they were safe to eat.

I'm not an expert but in doubt, better to abstain! I only use those in packet or that our neighbor gives us, has a vegetable garden
I've also seen them dipped in chocolate - or was it mint leaves?

I have to change one's mind about sage and chocolate. There was something back my mind that basically saw this combo but the personal taste made me to discard this hypothesis. I was wrong! I was curious and so I did a little search on google and it is a combination also appreciated. Almost to try...

Back
Top Bottom