Frost free freezers

Yorky

RIP 21/01/2024
Local time
9:35 AM
I've had this "frost free freezer" for 18 years and have not really considered how it works until recently. In order to minimise the build up of ice, there is a heater within the freezer walls which turns on at selected intervals thereby melting the ice and the water is thereafter diverted to a tray in the base where it subsequently evaporates.

The frozen food that I buy generally requires a freezer temperature of ≈ -18 degC so I decided to buy a fridge/freezer thermometer to monitor the temperatures within the freezer.

My first experiment over a 15 hour period resulted in this:

Refrigerator temperatures.jpg

I don't believe that I have become ill as a result of food stored in the freezer but maybe I've just become immune to it.

You are taking this very seriously @Yorky! I don't even know of my freezer(s) are frost free. But given the state of one of them which had the door accidentaly left open a bit, I think not!

If you can see the coils in plain view inside the unit, then it isn't frost-free. Can't see the coils at all, it's frost free, They are behind a wall, or between the fridge & freezer.

Actually, whole frost free freezers are astronomically expensive, depending on what you are looking for. So are monster size fridges!

Fridges automatically defrost about every 12 hours, whole freezers every 24 hours. :wink:

Last edited:
You are taking this very seriously @Yorky! I don't even know of my freezer(s) are frost free. But given the state of one of them which had the door accidentaly left open a bit, I think not!

That has happened to me once. The freezer door of the fridge was accidently left open a little. I went away for a weekend. Found that out when I got back. The food was still frozen, but it looked like the Blizzard of '78 in there!!! Snow all over everything!! :ohmy::headshake:

Back
Top Bottom