Frozen mixed veges.

rascal

Forum GOD!
Local time
5:27 PM
we get here small bags of frozen veges, I use them all the time, 4 mins in microwave and enough veges for 2 people. They cook in the bag and I love them, contains carrot, beans, peas,corn,broccoli. They also make the bags with cous cous. I DONT do cous cous.

Russ

For a few years now there have been some improved types of frozen mixed veg introduced - called 'steamfresh' and similar titles and designed to be microwaved. They seem pretty good and come in a variety of mixes - but I sill reckon that carrots, broccoli and cauliflower don't freeze well. They also do rice and couscous with veg mixed in. Like this:

Screen Shot 2019-01-14 at 11.43.36.png

We sometimes buy mixed veges to use in soup or some rice dishes. We always have frozen corn and peas on hand. If I can't find fresh pearl onions, I'll get frozen.

I do sometimes buy frozen rice as it good for a quick meal esp. a small portion. Husband likes the ones with added veg for when I'm away (he is not a cook).

As for veg, I use only peas, broad brans and sweetcorn as I find the others watery (as @morning glory said.)

I have tried frozen garlic and that is OK for emergencies.

I do sometimes buy frozen rice as it good for a quick meal esp. a small portion. Husband likes the ones with added veg for when I'm away (he is not a cook).

As for veg, I use only peas, broad brans and sweetcorn as I find the others watery (as @morning glory said.)

Edamame beans are OK too.

I only use frozen garlic.

Russ

I recently bought some steam fresh veg bags and they're good for when you're in a hurry, but they're a bit boring and I still prefer our own home-grown veg where possible.

I really wish UK supermarkets had something similar to the frozen mixed veg that you can get in France:
3083680904964_PHOTOSITE_20180810_045159_0.jpg
3083680904971_PHOTOSITE_20180503_044810_0.jpg
3083680905008_PHOTOSITE_20180809_160457_0.jpg
3083681022650_PHOTOSITE_20180809_160138_0.jpg
3083681032628_PHOTOSITE_20180816_160353_0.jpg
3083680904995_PHOTOSITE_20180810_045126_0.jpg

La Parisienne: green beans, potatoes, carrots, button mushrooms, lardons
La Paysanne: broccoli, potatoes, carrots, green beans, button mushrooms, onions
La Méditerranéenne: grilled aubergines & courgettes, potatoes, chopped courgettes, red peppers
La Rustique: potatoes, button mushrooms, green beans, onions, bolete mushrooms
La Champêtre: green beans, carrots, peas, button mushrooms, grelot onions
La Potagère: courgettes, spinach, peas, baby carrots, chopped onions
Some of them come with a herby seasoning sachet you add yourself, some have the herbs already included in the mix (garlic, parsley, chives, thyme, etc.)

They're designed to be sauted in a pan rather than microwaved so they have added sunflower oil and aren't as healthy as the steam fresh bags, but they taste so much better :D We always buy one of the ones with potatoes in when we're on holiday to stick in the freezer - they make a great accompaniment to steak or other grilled meat. Very quick and easy and minimal washing up :roflmao:

The microwave ones are brill. But the guys that make them slip in a cheap,one with lots of cous cous, a nothing item. My wife bought some because they looked like normal ones.

Russ

Back
Top Bottom