Frying with Coconut Oil

kjonesm1

Veteran
Local time
5:18 PM
So I had dinner all prepped and ready when I realized I was completely out of vegetable oil. I had to improvise with coconut oil and was somewhat disappointed with the results. The batter was crispy on the outside and mushy on the inside. The chicken itself was cooked through and juicy, but the whole batter thing threw me off. Is there a way to fry with coconut oil or is it best not to use at all?

This is puzzling because coconut oil can withstand high temperatures and is good for deep frying (I'm assuming you were deep frying?). But even if you were shallow frying, it should be fine. It sounds like you didn't heat the oil up enough...?

I am thinking something similarly to @morning glory . I suspect that the oil was hot enough but that you put too many pieces of chicken in to cook causing that oil to drop significantly in temperature making life to cool and if the gas/electric ring was not on high enough, the oil would not have regained temperature quickly enough to prevent the chicken from ending up with a soggy batter.

Putting too much in to the pan when frying/deep frying causing the oil to cool is a common fault problem.

coconut oil is great if it is pure ,extra virgin,yes it holds high temps,,I think oil temp control is a major factor to the soggy battery,unless your batter recipe was wrong ,but it sounds that you have done recipe before ,hot,then cold then hot again maybe,the high thresh hold of the flash point on the oil is great for safety but can effect qualitiy of product if not controlled

I had never used coconut oil for frying yet. I am aware of the good benefits of it on our health in general. Base from my glancing it helps combat the viruses and bacteria in the body that is why it had been a part of my diet. I actually consume a teaspoon right after I eat but it is odd to say that until now I have not used it for cooking. I am quite worried it will leave an after taste on my food.

I probably would never even try this. This sounds yucky to me. I do understand trying this if I had no other choice however. I am not one big on trying new things. I have noticed that when using different oils that the results are different.

I have not yet experience using a coconut oil for frying. I am just worried if what will be the taste of the food after when I will use a coconut oil for frying. The only thing I am doing is that I am using this kind of oil for my hair and sometimes on my face as a form of moisturizer. We all know that it had many amazing health benefits but when it comes to using it for frying I don't know if it has a good after taste for foods.

I just tried using coconut oil today because of what I have read online about the benefits of it on our body in general. What I like about coconut oil is that it provides the energy to your body right away you can take a teaspoon and add it on your drink. However on my food it tasted quite rancid maybe because I got the one that has been treated with heat as opposed to the cold pressed one

Back
Top Bottom