Recipe Future gammon, sort of

medtran49

Forum GOD!
Local time
1:51 AM
As I wrote in the braised bacon thread, I wanted to try this with a smaller amount of meat than a ham/gammon joint. So, I purchased a 2.7 pound chunk of boned pork butt. The cure is Michael Ruhlman's basic cure for bacon with powdered dextrose (you can use regular sugar also), cure #2 and kosher salt, plus I added a couple of smashed garlic cloves, a bay leaf, and some cracked peppercorns. Placed the chunk of pork in a gallon bag, poured in 1/4 cup of the cure mix, massaged the pork until it was evenly coated in the cure, and refrigerated. It will be flipped every other day and will be curing for about 7 days or until pork is very firm to touch. Then, I'll use my new little toy in Craig's Big Green Egg and smoke.

2018-12-14 10.50.38.jpg

Last edited:
Smoked and braised. Thinking about making the breakfast we had a couple of weeks ago tomorrow morning. Kept 1 chunk out and put the other 4 in the freezer. Tastes pretty good, a cross between ham and bacon. Very tender.

2018-12-24 18.10.19.jpg

Smoked and braised. Thinking about making the breakfast we had a couple of weeks ago tomorrow morning. Kept 1 chunk out and put the other 4 in the freezer. Tastes pretty good, a cross between ham and bacon. Very tender.

View attachment 21427
That looks fantastic! Just needs a couple of eggs for the perfect breakfast.

Back
Top Bottom