Gadgets/tools which aren't intended for the kitchen

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
8:27 PM
I couldn't think of a succinct title for this thread - what I'm talking about are gadgets or devices intended for use elsewhere but which you use as a kitchen tool. An obvious example would be using an industrial blow torch instead of a culinary blow-torch (something which many Chefs recommend).

A small example: I use clothes pegs as packet closures (in the cupboard and freezer). I'm sure there are other examples.

Are there tools or gadgets that you use which weren't really made for the kitchen?

I use binder clips to close bags.

I used to use the industrial blow torch, but got a culinary one, though we do still use the big one to torch bell peppers to remove their skin.

I've seen, but never personally used, the screens used in an over the stove fan/light fixture used as serving boards for pizzas. While they are used in the kitchen as is, certainly not their intended use.

Hemostats, tweezers, dental picks have been used here at various times for various purposes.

I'll have to think on it a little more.

When I made the Ropa Vieja with Pomegranate, I couldn't find the meat mallet I would have normally used to knock out the seeds, so I washed off a hammer and used that. It cracked the skin (mine, and that of the fruit), but it worked. I really need to find that meat mallet.

I didn't want to admit to that. Shhh, a rubber mallet works too. :whistling:

Wife also uses pegs for freezer bags. I have a blowtorch, a present from my kids. Most of my gadgets are for the kitchen but bought from overseas. My good chef knife bought from Harrods, other stuff all through Asia etc. I also use string a lot in the kitchen.

Russ

I use paper clips like this for opened packet closures:

paper clip.jpg

And I have an industrial gas blowlamp for food searing.

Other than those two I have nothing else that doesn't belong in the kitchen.

Last edited:
Although I do have a cooking blowtorch, it operates on lighter gas and refilling it is pretty difficult. It is much easier to head to the garage and fetch the industrial blowtorch that runs on a can of butane.

I didn't know that.

Binding to me indicates a virtual permanent linking of pages of a book, for example.

The original use I personally saw was to hold the large volume of papers apparently required for real estate deals. Maybe that's how they got their name.

A few more:

Paint brush instead of pastry brush.
Elastic bands for wrapping around flour and sugar bags when opened.
Cotton buds for cleaning up little splashes on plates (for food photography).
Broad paint brush for painting sauce on the plate in a chefy way!

img10659.768x512.jpg

Back
Top Bottom