Recipe Galettes De Sarrasin (Buckwheat Pancakes)

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
3:57 PM
Buckwheat pancakes are a speciality of Northern France. This is a vegan version of the pancake, devised through trial and error on my part. Its also gluten free and dairy free. I couldn't resist using an egg in the filling which of course, isn't vegan - but there are lots of other fillings you could use. The filling here is spinach, cheese and egg.

fullsizeoutput_378c.jpeg

Ingredients (makes 4 pancakes)
100g buckwheat flour
5 tbsp black bean water (water from tinned black beans)*
175g almond milk (unsweetened)
125 ml water
A generous pinch of salt
Oil for frying
Filling of your choice

Method
  1. Mix the almond milk and water together.
  2. Whisk the bean water until frothy.
  3. Place the flour in a bowl and fold in the frothy bean water.
  4. Gradually add the milk/water mixture, whisking as you go. You may not need to use it all.
  5. The batter should have the consistency of thin cream.
  6. Whisk for a few seconds until bubbles form on the surface when the batter is rested.
  7. At this point you can cover and leave the batter for several hours or overnight in the fridge. I used it straight away.
  8. Heat a little oil in a non stick pan until very hot.
  9. Add a ladle of batter and tip the pan to form a circle of batter.
  10. Cook for a few minutes on each side.
  11. Stack the pancakes on a plate. They will keep overnight, covered in clingfilm.
  12. To assemble the galettes, place a pancake on a baking tray and add the filling of your choice, allowing a border around the edge.
  13. Fold over four sides of the pancake to make a square, leaving the centre exposed to display the filling.
  14. Bake at 170 C for 5-10 minutes until the filling is cooked.
*Any bean water or chickpea water can be used

fullsizeoutput_378e.jpeg

Last edited:
Very nice. I would love to dig in.

I wonder if the name comes from the term Saracen, or generally an olde tymey word for Muslim and/or Arabic person.

Very nice. I would love to dig in.

I wonder if the name comes from the term Saracen, or generally an olde tymey word for Muslim and/or Arabic person.

According to the French version of Wikipedia, the word sarrasin (or sarrazin) was used to describe people of the Muslim faith in the Middle Ages.

Curiously, here in Brittany, buckwheat flour is labelled as farine de sarrasin but the flour (or pancake) is most often described as blé noir (literally 'black wheat').

Curiously, here in Brittany, buckwheat flour is labelled as farine de sarrasin but the flour (or pancake) is most often described as blé noir (literally 'black wheat').

I was wondering about that - the flour I bought which is from Brittany is labelled blé noir. Are you saying there are two types of buckwheat flour - one for pancakes and one for bread?

I was wondering about that - the flour I bought which is from Brittany is labelled blé noir. Are you saying there are two types of buckwheat flour - one for pancakes and one for bread?

No - I don't think anyone here makes bread with buckwheat flour (but I'm having a go this afternoon and will report back later)

The point I was trying (badly) to make was in reply to @buckytom - that his suggestion about the word origins is probably correct, but that when buckwheat flour is discussed here, it's always called blé noir, never sarrasin (even though it's labelled farine de sarrasin) - and that it's entirely possible that this distinction is down to local islamophobia. Or not .....I'm not sure that I can ask without offending someone...

No - I don't think anyone here makes bread with buckwheat flour (but I'm having a go this afternoon and will report back later)
It mussy just be us mad Brits who use it in bread then!

The point I was trying (badly) to make was in reply to @buckytom - that his suggestion about the word origins is probably correct, but that when buckwheat flour is discussed here, it's always called blé noir, never sarrasin (even though it's labelled farine de sarrasin) - and that it's entirely possible that this distinction is down to local islamophobia. Or not .....I'm not sure that I can ask without offending someone...

Oh sorry - got confused because my packet (imported from Brittany) is labelled blé noir.

Back
Top Bottom