Garden treasures! :)

niemela23

Veteran
Local time
4:39 AM
Thanks to my small container garden & even smaller garden bed, I'll have some vegetables to harvest this year. Yay! :)

Things are still growing and will be for a little while yet, but I am beginning to taste this year's rewards!

So:

Uses for cucumber and kale, anyone?

As far as the cukes go--- I've been making cucumber & tomato salads, drinking my own home made cucumber-water, and of course throwing chunks or slices of them in to wraps, on to sandwiches, & in to grain-and-bean-based salads. As well, I'm looking forward to trying out my luck with a small batch of cucumber relish soon.

As far as the kale goes--- have been doing kale salads, kale & mixed green salads, have been using it in wraps and on sandwiches, have been sauteeing it as a component for main dishes, or as a side, & have been putting it in my smoothies.

Any ideas for using the above two vegetables?

-J

Good evening, @niemela23,

Cucumbers:
1) A wide variety of salads year round call for cucumber.
2) I like " crudities " ( cucumber, carrots, tomatoes, red bell, radishes for example ) with a variety of dips & / or salad dressings ..

Kale:
1) Stuffed Kale ( like in stuffed cabbage which can be a meat dish or a vegetarian filling ) ..
2) I prepare a traditional Catalan dish, called Catalan Spinach, which can easily be used with Kale instead of spinach. The récipe is posted in the Vegetable Section. The ingredients are: Evoo, raisins, pine nuts or almonds, salt, minced garlic and freshly ground black peppercorns .. The leaves are sautéed in Spanish Extra Virgin Olive Oil ..

Have a nice summer and hope this has given you some new ideas ..

Last edited:
Good evening, @niemela23,

Cucumbers:
1) A wide variety of salads year round call for cucumber.
2) I like " crudities " ( cucumber, carrots, tomatoes, red bell, radishes for example ) with a variety of dips & / or salad dressings ..

Kale:
1) Stuffed Kale ( like in stuffed cabbage which can be a meat dish or a vegetarian filling ) ..
2) I prepare a traditional Catalan dish, called Catalan Spinach, which can easily be used with Kale instead of spinach. The récipe is posted in the Vegetable Section. The ingredients are: Evoo, raisins, pine nuts or almonds, salt, minced garlic and freshly ground black peppercorns .. The leaves are sautéed in Spanish Extra Virgin Olive Oil ..

Have a nice summer and hope this has given you some new ideas ..

Great stuff, thank you Francesca! Am especially curious about the stuffed kale... what is your preferred filling?

Not keen on smoothies, but I love kale and apple salad. I posted a few cucumber pickle recipes in the CookingBites Recipe Challenge for Vinegar.

Nice, I will have to take a look, thanks Elawin! I've definitely thought of pickles & I love to eat them (I teethed on them as a baby, lol!)...

Kale & apple salad, yum! This sounds scrumptious... Do you prefer to use any apple varieties in particular?

Great stuff, thank you Francesca! Am especially curious about the stuffed kale... what is your preferred filling?

@niemela23

Favorite Kale Stuffings:

1) Greek style scented rice, either medium or long grain rice wth shallot, or onion, or scallion, fresh dill, fresh mint, leek & lemon, salt and freshly ground pepper, currants, or raisins if you wish; with or without prawns ( deveined, be - headed and no Shell ) ..

2) Traditional ground beef ( 1 / 2 beef and 1 / 2 porc if you wish ) cabbage meat stuffing .. If you prefer, you could use ground turkey .. with a light Marinara ..

Have a lovely day ..

Last edited:
@niemela23

Favorite Kale Stuffings:

1) Greek style scented rice, either medium or long grain rice wth shallot, or onion, or scallion, fresh dill, fresh mint, leek & lemon, salt and freshly ground pepper, currants, or raisins if you wish; with or without prawns ( deveined, be - headed and no Shell ) ..

2) Traditional ground beef ( 1 / 2 beef and 1 / 2 porc if you wish ) cabbage meat stuffing .. If you prefer, you could use ground turkey .. with a light Marinara ..

Have a lovely day ..

My mouth is watering! I love the idea of rice, raisins or currants, & scallions (or an onion of sorts) all stuffed in to kale leaves. Prawns, (which I adore) would be an awesome addition, I can imagine. And the mint or dill, either way, each one with the above mix --- am guessing, delicious!

It sounds like you eat well & go for flavor when you do! :)

And, the meat mix.. I make a few batches of cabbage rolls every fall, and I've never thought of using kale to wrap things in, but now I just might try that.

Thank you very much!

I'll take a picture of the kale to post soon... just the small amount I planted has been more than enough for myself (tricky to get my hubby to eat anything green, although... through my gardening & cooking he's finally finding out that green 'stuff' can taste good!)...

My mouth is watering! I love the idea of rice, raisins or currants, & scallions (or an onion of sorts) all stuffed in to kale leaves. Prawns, (which I adore) would be an awesome addition, I can imagine. And the mint or dill, either way, each one with the above mix --- am guessing, delicious!

It sounds like you eat well & go for flavor when you do! :)

And, the meat mix.. I make a few batches of cabbage rolls every fall, and I've never thought of using kale to wrap things in, but now I just might try that.

Thank you very much!

I'll take a picture of the kale to post soon... just the small amount I planted has been more than enough for myself (tricky to get my hubby to eat anything green, although... through my gardening & cooking he's finally finding out that green 'stuff' can taste good!)...

@niemela23,

What a lovely complment .. Thank you.

I am sure, that the stuffed kale (kale is a type of cabbage to the best of my knowledge) and truly works wonderfully stuffed ..

I look forward to seeing the photographs .. And the récipe that you are going to prepare ..

The Greek dill scented rice stuffed in either kale leaves or grape leaves ( Dolmades ) or cabbage with currants or raisins is simply sublime ..

Have a lovely summer ..

Nice, I will have to take a look, thanks Elawin! I've definitely thought of pickles & I love to eat them (I teethed on them as a baby, lol!)...

Kale & apple salad, yum! This sounds scrumptious... Do you prefer to use any apple varieties in particular?
I don't know the name of the varieties of apples I get - any sweet, ripe eating apple would do, I think - but I leave the peel on them so I usually choose nice pink or red ones for a bit of variety colour-wise.

Back
Top Bottom