Gardening Season! What are you looking forward to the most?

clairebeautiful

Veteran
Local time
5:10 PM
It is almost my favorite time of the year... SUMMER!

I love the fresh garden veggies and the fresh (and local) produce found in the grocery stores for reasonable prices.

I always look forward to tomato and basil salads straight from my garden, but this year I also look forward to strawberries and blueberries. I'm growing my own strawberries (not terribly hopeful about them) but I have a fabulous local blueberry farm I like to visit and stock up for the year. Blueberries are so much better fresh than frozen, but I'll take them any way I can get them.

What do you look forward to most??

soft fruits in abundance ,my father gardens about a third of a acre and i raid his raspberry canes,and pick strawberries and tay berries,blue berry farms are few in the uk but i go to one outside Corfe Castle who have a strict no eating as you pick policy,tomatoes and mixed salad leaves are a great pick for me we have fields full of them near us,and i love the quality of the watercress in the summer

To be honest, I hate summer! The only joy I feel about the season is being able to grow such wonderful fruit and veg. I have a salad garden, and a vegetable garden, as well as little orchard area down at the bottom of the garden where I have apple, pear, plum and fig trees.

I also have greenhouse where I grow tomatoes and chillies. This year I am going to increase the amount of tomatoes I grow, and I will also be planting some new soft fruit bushes such as gooseberries and blackberries. I have a lot of raspberry canes I planted two years ago and are doing very well.

It's such a pity that I can't tolerate the sun, but I go out into the garden between 6 and 8 every summer morning, and between 7 and 9 in the evening. Outside of that I keep out of it.

I will plant some tomatoes and lots of flowers, a few new rose bushs, I have red bush now that is very old. I would like a patio on the ground level so that everything is not done on the deck.

Wait, what happened to spring? I guess I am lucky to live in a place where I can garden even in the winter. I moved my tomato plant into the greenhouse in November and it is still producing cherry tomatoes today. My strawberries seemed to do better last year than this one (so far anyway), but I am expanding to grow more edibles this time around.

I have planted the tomatoes, mizzuma, runner beans, courgettes, winter savoury, summer savoury, 3 varieties of tomatoes and some wild garlic. The courgettes have already germinated, but I have to bring them in each evening to protect them from frost - that said they were hailed on several times today and currently they are still alive. The strawberries have been repotted (they are in planters and now look really healthy). The peppermint is in a container and looks like it wishes to take over the world... and I have ordered some main crop potatoes (Shetland black and Pink Fir Apple) which should arrive soon. The herb garden has been tidied - the parsley is doing well, the garlic chives are taking over, the thyme has taken over, the rosemary has survived the winter, the marjoram and oregano have been cut back as has the sage. I think that is it for our tiny patch of land!

I lie, I missed off the wild rocket which is in a hanging basket and has also been repotted... it too is doing well.

I've just managed to bag some wild roquette from a poly tunnel,well it's not really wild in the tunnel ,but it's really proper peppery ,greet for salads and even made a little pesto

Summer is just over and we have the rains now. This is the opportune time for gardening. Whatever you plant, they grow fast... especially the weeds, hahahaaa. We have planted some trees to coincide with the rains. But those trees are for giving away to friends when they become seedlings or saplings maybe. For non-trees, we have the bed of camote and cassava.

We recently moved to a new house so I set up a small (very small) greenhouse to see if I can grow anything where we are now. I have carrots, tomatoes, peas and onions. If my little garden does well then I'll expand it next year. We also started growing an apple tree from a seed. It's sprouting and it's tiny so definitely not ready to even plant in the ground yet but, hopefully, it'll keep growing. A pear tree would be nice, however, we don't have a lot of space. I might have to get a little creative with my planting. I have a rhubarb patch as well and next year I'm thinking of planting raspberries.

All my basil plants getting the sun ad water they need!

My favourite thing is growing herbs in my window or small balcony! Living in a small flat tried my hand with tomatoes one year but did not managed to get anything good from it.

Back
Top Bottom