Garlic powder

Fwiw.. I read an article claiming the powder may have been mixed with chalk. Gives me pause when it comes to buying jarred mixes. You have more control when you make it at home or use fresh. When I bought powdered garlic, it mostly sat on the shelf and dried out. I rarely used it.

I do keep garlic powder (never garlic salt, as I prefer to adjust salt levels myself). I find it useful if you want to put it in a rub for steaks or such. Or making up spice concoctions that you plan to keep the extra around for awhile. For instance it is in my jar of home-made ras al hanout. It does work in some stews. And occasionally I'm in a rush...

But for stir fries and marinates, fresh garlic truly is best.

Garlic powder is readily available in supermarkets here in Northern Ireland. I would use it when roasting root vegetables or if I want to add a bit of taste to something as an alternative to salt. I avoid garlic salt as it has too much salt in it.

Gillian

I only use it if it's called for in a recipe. A friend of ours grows it ( 1/4 acre ) so I get about 3 garlic plaits off him. The same as you see French people around their necks. I freeze it in ice cream containers. 2 litres. I currently have about 3 in the freezer ATM. I have powder and salt varieties as well. And minced garlic.minced chilly and also ginger.

Russ

Back
Top Bottom