Gas Jets

classic33

Legendary Member
Local time
6:52 PM
How many people on here have given any thought to them? Do you know what size(s) is in use and where replacements can be bought? Jet chosen as they are the most common cause of appliance failure, yet they're only small.

For this question I'm assuming you're using gas in the first place.

This question could however be asked of any appliance in use, gas or electric. If a part was to fail, could you get the replacement part?

As it happens I have a hob which has only had two burners functioning for some time now. I haven't bothered to try to find out how to repair it as I'm thinng of getting one of those wonderful, easy to clean ceramic hobs. And I also suspect that getting it repaired would cost more than is worth it!

Ceramic hob. Just wipe clean!
images-61.jpeg

It just seemed more appropriate here.

This is the forum for:
Information on cookware, kitchen equipment and accessories including recipe locations and cookbooks. Chat about dishes, utensils, knives, blenders, smoothie makers, pots, pans, ovens, range cookers, kitchen safety, cookbooks and more.

First time that heard about them being called gas jets. As kids, and even today, we've always called them gas BURNERS, or electric burners. Hah!! :wink:

@Shermie The gas jets are what brings the gas to the burners.
In answer to the OP, yes they can be replaced. The catch is make sure you get the correct jets. There are two different ones. One for natural gas and one for propane.
Though you can sometimes get replacement burners too.

In answer to the OP, yes they can be replaced. The catch is make sure you get the correct jets. There are two different ones. One for natural gas and one for propane.

Are those the thingies that are just under the top inside for each burner with adjustable vents on them? :scratchhead:

Are those the thingies that are just under the top inside for each burner with adjustable vents on them? :scratchhead:
They are the bit (as I understand) that I have to change depending on if I am on mains gas or bottled gas because the gases are different gases and need different amounts of air mixing in to burn correctly. to me the gas jet is the bit the controls the amount of had coming out to be burnt. so the thing that sticks up vertically under the 2 other thingies that are removable. the gas jet (gas nozzle) isn't as easily removable. but I'm guessing if I look it up it won't be now!

Thank you for the photo and the description. Yes, they are a bit hard to replace but it can be done.

My old stove had the pilot lights. My new stove has the ignitor. The bad part with ignitors is they can get clogged and not want to light.
But it makes a bit of a difference on the gas bill. Ignitors cost a few cents a day less to run.

There's more than two!

But I chose them, as an example, as they're the part most likely to fail. They're cheap, and you have a working appliance in very short time. Once replaced.

I've posted elsewhere, that people come to places such as this, for advice. Not everyone's a professional, which is why they want the help/advice in the first place. Get given the right help/advice and they'll come back.

By the way, if your gas jets are working okay, DON'T GO MUCKING ABOUT WITH THEM

I still remember when you had to use a match !
As for the ceramic hob they are fine BUT they can be limiting - no using a wok, no 'tilting' the frying pan for thicker fried eggs and no getting a cast iron pan REALLY hot for searing a steak.

Back
Top Bottom