Gas Jets

I still remember when you had to use a match !
As for the ceramic hob they are fine BUT they can be limiting - no using a wok, no 'tilting' the frying pan for thicker fried eggs and no getting a cast iron pan REALLY hot for searing a steak.
I have been in several places you had to use a match.

Heck my heater requires a match to light it.

And they always worked too [although it was best not to leave the gas on too long before ignition :eek:]
Modern technology - just more things to go wrong.
The dumbest thing concerning gas I ever saw was in Microbiology. The lab had 4 gas jets on each table. A really intelligent person put their bunsen burner on one jet and turned the gas on the one opposite it. She was sitting there with her sparker. I was at a different table and caught a whiff of gas. I jumped up, turned off the gas at our table. Ran over with one hand turned off the Jets on that table and took the sparker out of her hand.
She tried to tell on me. I told the professor what she did. She told the professor, yes I did turn on the wrong jet but it was no big deal. The professor saw it as a major safety violation and knocked a full letter grade off her next test after repeating the lecture I had just given the girl. I happen to be super-sensitive to the odorant they add to natural gas.

Here is the result of an unodorized gas leak.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_London_School_explosion

I am so glad my granddad skipped school that day to work.

I still remember when you had to use a match !
As for the ceramic hob they are fine BUT they can be limiting - no using a wok, no 'tilting' the frying pan for thicker fried eggs and no getting a cast iron pan REALLY hot for searing a steak.
Oh! I hadn't thought of those things. I use a flat bottomed chef's pan instead of a wok so that wouldn't be an issue...

I am correct... for once..

These are the gas jets

View attachment 4388

They go dead centre (on my cooker) after you have removed the gas burners which are the 2 round things on each gas ring. size of the gas burners changes per ring.

View attachment 4387

Now I know!

Those 3 little holes on the side of the burners that receive ignition from the pilot.

in the apt that I rented before THIs one, they used to get clogged up, causing the burners to not ignite. I had to light them manually. What an aggravating pain in the butt THAT was!! :mad:

Now I know!

Those 3 little holes on the side of the burners that receive ignition from the pilot.

in the apt that I rented before THIs one, they used to get clogged up, causing the burners to not ignite. I had to light them manually. What an aggravating pain in the butt THAT was!! :mad:
Most of the places I have been on gas are a case of lighting it manually. I find those BBQ had lighters really handy. these things

BBQ gas.jpg

But I always have matches around somewhere in the house!

As it happens I have a hob which has only had two burners functioning for some time now. I haven't bothered to try to find out how to repair it as I'm thinng of getting one of those wonderful, easy to clean ceramic hobs. And I also suspect that getting it repaired would cost more than is worth it!

Ceramic hob. Just wipe clean!
View attachment 4386
Baumatic BHC605 4 Burner Ceramic Hob, £150

Most of the places I have been on gas are a case of lighting it manually. I find those BBQ had lighters really handy. these things

View attachment 4393

But I always have matches around somewhere in the house!
I was using one of those to light them.

The oven had to be manually lit anyway, and if I let the gas be on a bit too long, the fire would jump out at me!! That was dangerous!!:headshake:

Sometimes I tried to clean those holes with a toothpick, but still, no good. :headshake:
Too big & not advisable.
Single piece of wire at best. But compressed air or a vacumn cleaner to try and clear the dirt.

Toothpick will make the hole bigger, making the problem worse.

Too big & not advisable.
Single piece of wire at best. But compressed air or a vacumn cleaner to try and clear the dirt.

Toothpick will make the hole bigger, making the problem worse.

I no longer have a gas stove anyway, so I don't have to worry about that.
The new apt where I am has an electric stove. They ALL do. :wink:

I no longer have a gas stove anyway, so I don't have to worry about that.
The new apt where I am has an electric stove. They ALL do. :wink:
I think that is pretty much the standard everywhere. There can be no GAS in apartments at least in the US. due to the risk of fires. Not to mention, the costs of running gas lines.
Come to think of it, most newer houses here are ALL Electric. That is the cost factor. Most of them are thrown up quickly. Note: these houses are NOT cheap to buy but they are built cheaply with the cheapest appliances available.

I think that is pretty much the standard everywhere. There can be no GAS in apartments at least in the US. due to the risk of fires. Not to mention, the costs of running gas lines.
Come to think of it, most newer houses here are ALL Electric. That is the cost factor. Most of them are thrown up quickly. Note: these houses are NOT cheap to buy but they are built cheaply with the cheapest appliances available.

Yup, that is usually the norm.

All new apts I've visited with friends living in them are all electric. in fact, I think that gas stoves in new apts have been outlawed by the city & state.

And yes, they ARE thrown up very quickly! You see what appears to be cheap flimsily-made particleboard on the outside as part of the framework! A fire would devour that up in a heartbeat!!.:headshake:

wooden_building_under_construction.jpg
Apt. building on fire..jpg

Sadly, THIS is the norm.

Luckily, the building that I'M in is constructed of all concrete & brick! So that if, God forbid, one of the apts ever caught fire, it won't spread to the other ones.
It was built in '78.

Back
Top Bottom