Gas Jets

I think that is pretty much the standard everywhere. There can be no GAS in apartments at least in the US. due to the risk of fires. Not to mention, the costs of running gas lines.
Come to think of it, most newer houses here are ALL Electric. That is the cost factor. Most of them are thrown up quickly. Note: these houses are NOT cheap to buy but they are built cheaply with the cheapest appliances available.

I once looked at a studio apt in East Boston while I was living out there.

The studio was brand new in a luxury apartment building that was just built, & it has what appears to be the very latest in high-tech appliances, such as compact stacked washer / dryer, over-the-range full-size microwave, a high-end electric stove, a large fridge with French doors and bottom freezer and even a dishwasher. But they wanted almost $1,300 a month for it!!

So either I try to get that one or drop my pride and live in a low-income housing apt., or go broke living in a luxury studio apt.. Besides, if or once they saw my income. they would bloody turn me down in a heartbeat, because they'd feel that I wouldn't be able to afford it!!

Rents in that area are being jacked up to the moon!! :headshake:

Below is a link to the address where I stayed for 14 years before the landlord sold the building & became a worthless carnivorous piece of garbage.

The place was transformed into a condo!! This is what is going on in that area. Buildings are sold and then changed over to condos, making them hard to afford by average residents of the area or anywhere! :headshake:

https://www.coldwellbankerhomes.com/ma/boston/69-cottage-street/pid_14614762/

Last edited:
I understand that one. About 4 years ago, we had an oil boom. Rent and housing prices went through the roof. Companies were building apartments or bringing in mobile homes on their properties just to house their employees. I have a friend that had to move back into her parents house because her rent went up to more than her disability check.
RV parks sprung up on every vacant piece of land. $250 a week with no amenities.

View attachment 4401 View attachment 4402

Sadly, THIS is the norm.

Luckily, the building that I'M in is constructed of all concrete & brick! So that if, God forbid, one of the apts ever caught fire, it won't spread to the other ones.
It was built in '78.
Just don't turn the water heater(electric) on then! Think Adam & Jamie here.

That really could be "Boom & Bust".

Do you have one? Do they work for cast iron pans as mentioned by @sidevalve?
No, used to have one at previous house. They are not good with cast iron pans, and I think they also have a problem with copper, but I may be wrong. I would suggest they are more appropriate in a show kitchen than an active working kitchen like yours!

Just don't turn the water heater(electric) on then! Think Adam & Jamie here.

That really could be "Boom & Bust".
Let's see. Had to be a gas water heater and the pressure release valve had to be disabled so I think we are all safe.

Let's see. Had to be a gas water heater and the pressure release valve had to be disabled so I think we are all safe.
No mains electric supply, that's why it was gas. What was it, five mile to the nearest road!

No mains electric supply, that's why it was gas. What was it, five mile to the nearest road!
I was referring to your exploding water heater.
Oh and on the Mythbusters, the Science Channel starting December 23 is running all the Mythbusters episodes in a row. So for 11 days, it will be the Mythbusters channel.

I was referring to your exploding water heater.
Oh and on the Mythbusters, the Science Channel starting December 23 is running all the Mythbusters episodes in a row. So for 11 days, it will be the Mythbusters channel.
So was I. They were five miles from the nearest road. Just think of the extension lead/cord required!

264 hours.

Last edited:
As for halogen - you also have to be sure the bottom of the pan is clean [and I mean CLEAN] with no little 'baked on' bits no humps and bumps of any kind - they will work but to get the most efficiency out of them the pan needs to be dead flat. We have one and I hate it - easy to clean etc but versatile - nope. Give me a gas hob anyday.

As for halogen - you also have to be sure the bottom of the pan is clean [and I mean CLEAN] with no little 'baked on' bits no humps and bumps of any kind - they will work but to get the most efficiency out of them the pan needs to be dead flat. We have one and I hate it - easy to clean etc but versatile - nope. Give me a gas hob anyday.
Thats me out then!!!

Back
Top Bottom