Recipe Genovese chickpea pie / Farinata di ceci genovese

MypinchofItaly

Forum GOD!
Local time
4:42 PM
Website
mypinchofitaly.co.uk
Chickpeas Genoese Cake - Farinata Genovese in Italian - is a thin salty cake ( seems like a sort of pancakes) made with chickpeas flour and is typical of the city of Genoa. It is a very good street food and I take it every time I go to Genoa. Also easy to prepare at home, is a great salty snack or even a greedy way to start a lunch, or accompany it to bread during your meal. In short, chickpea cake is versatile and you can eat it when you want!

Farinata Pie.jpg

Serves 4, Preparation time 20 minutes + 2 hours, Cooking time 15/20 minutes

• 400 g. of chickpeas flour
  • 5/6 spoonful of Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO)
  • 1 l. and half of water
  • Salt to taste
  • Ground black pepper to taste

Method

Pre-heat the oven to the max temperature (this is the secret to obtain then a perfect Farinata Cake with the typical crunchy crispy).

Dissolve the chickpea flour with water by adding it a little at a time, trying not to make lumps and obtain a velvety batter.

Add salt, let rest for at least two hours (someone leaves it all night).

While the batter rests, remove the foam that will eventually form over.
Take a large and low pan, pour the batter (should reach the height of 1 or 1.5 cm, no more), add the oil and mixing well, so that it absorbs seasoning, stir to mix, bake and cook the flour for about 15/20 minutes.
Remove Farinata Cake from the oven, sprinkled it with a little ground pepper, sliced it and serve.

Last edited:
@MypinchofItaly

Bravo. Amazing. Ancient traders brought Indian ( Asia ) chick pea flour to Liguria many centuries ago.

The Farinata originally was prepared as a baked or grilled "pancake", prepared with chick pea flour, pepper, Olive Oil, Rosemary and garlic.

Definitely shall prepare this ! Very simple ..

Thank you for posting ..

@MypinchofItaly

Bravo. Amazing. Ancient traders brought Indian ( Asia ) chick pea flour to Liguria many centuries ago.

The Farinata originally was prepared as a baked or grilled "pancake", prepared with chick pea flour, pepper, Olive Oil, Rosemary and garlic.

Definitely shall prepare this ! Very simple ..

Thank you for posting ..

Thank you Dear.
I really love Genoese Farinata! But the original recipe is only with chickpeas flour, EVOO (Ligurian), water and salt. Others, such as adding rosemary or other, are variants. However great.

Thank you Dear.
I really love Genoese Farinata! But the original recipe is only with chickpeas flour, EVOO (Ligurian), water and salt. Others, such as adding rosemary or other, are variants. However great.

@MypinchofItaly

Yes, years ago, the mass of people ate very simply using what they had within their reach .. and depending if they were urban or lived on farms etcetra ..

It is delicious !

Thank you so much for posting it ..

Have a lovely day ..

@MypinchofItaly

Yes, years ago, the mass of people ate very simply using what they had within their reach .. and depending if they were urban or lived on farms etcetra ..

It is delicious !

Thank you so much for posting it ..

Have a lovely day ..

The varieties of rosemary or garlic are most commonly used on the west coast (called Ponente), i.e. from Genoa reaches up to the city of Ventimiglia/ French border.

It's a salty cake/a sort of very Los focaccia...So have I wrong to call it Pie?
I'm not sure - I just thought it looked more like a bread. Pie in the UK usually means pastry with a filling. If I google 'Farinata' it seems to get translated as 'Italian Chickpea Pancake'

I'm not sure - I just thought it looked more like a bread. Pie in the UK usually means pastry with a filling. If I google 'Farinata' it seems to get translated as 'Italian Chickpea Pancake'

Oh really? I've checked on Google translate Farinata before posting it and it said pie as torta salata or also salty cake. No pancake. Mah! Do you think is most correct write chickpeas pancakes? I think this is more similar effectively.

Oh really? I've checked on Google translate Farinata before posting it and it said pie as torta salata or also salty cake. No pancake. Mah! Do you think is most correct write chickpeas pancakes? I think this is more similar effectively.

I really don't know! They don't look like pancakes to me, either. I'm not speaking as a moderator here. We need a bi-lingual member. I didn't use google translate - I just searched for Farinata recipes.

Back
Top Bottom