Getting kids cooking.

Pete

Über Member
Local time
3:45 PM
I remember my mum giving me off-cuts of pastry to roll and make (probably) inedible jam tarts etc.
We had a bag of pastry in the fridge that had turned grey from use!! This was for playing with, not baking, I hasten to add :laugh:

I used to bake things with my daughter, when she was younger, and do so now with my granddaughter.
They had/have their own set of cutters and shapes to create the shapes of choice for biscuits.

Faith-Sprinkles.JPG

This is her a few years ago adding some Sprinkles to her iced buns.
We've made pizza, from scratch, and 3-2-1 biscuits, plus the inevitable Gingerbread Men.

The preparation starts with:
"What do we do first?"
"Wash our hands!!"
:)

Well now first you put the kid in the oven. Then you put the oven on the lowest setting. Cook all day until tender.
Oh you meant children not baby goats.

For children: make sure they know to use a bowl when making a cake.

I remember my mum giving me off-cuts of pastry to roll and make (probably) inedible jam tarts etc.
We had a bag of pastry in the fridge that had turned grey from use!! This was for playing with, not baking, I hasten to add :laugh:

I used to bake things with my daughter, when she was younger, and do so now with my granddaughter.
They had/have their own set of cutters and shapes to create the shapes of choice for biscuits.

View attachment 5940

We've made pizza, from scratch, and 3-2-1 biscuits, plus the inevitable Gingerbread Men.

"What do we do first?"
"Wash our hands!!"

Cute!!! :wink:

Well now first you put the kid in the oven. Then you put the oven on the lowest setting. Cook all day until tender.
Oh you meant children not baby goats.

For children: make sure they know to use a bowl when making a cake.

Lol, I used to have a t-shirt that said:

"Let's eat kids.
Let's eat, kids.
Punctuation saves lives"

I come from a family of writers and English teachers, so this is great fun.:okay:

View attachment 5940

"What do we do first?"
"Wash our hands!!"
Looks like you have them off to a good start.

Mum never taught me how to cook anything (although she sometimes gave me the offcuts of pastry to make a few tarts with, but she did the actual cooking). I learnt the hard way when I was a bit older. However, I always let my daughter help out, and when she was about 8 I bought her a couple of children's cookery books. When her children were young, she phoned me up one day and asked if I still had them, so her children learnt to cook too. Shame, because there were still some nice recipes in there that I hadn't tried - there were proper meals, as well as cakes and stuff. My daughter also did some cookery at Guides and at school, although I never did.

I did all the right things in the kitchen with all of my kids. Yet as adults none of them can cook! When they became teenagers they lost interest. I think one of the problems with teaching kids to cook is that it always seems to focus on cakes and pastry rather than proper meals. And now we have the cupcake generation!

Personally though, I hate having kids anywhere near my kitchen. Correction, any where near me at all! I know that is supposed to be a wrong thing to say... :laugh::ohmy:

Last edited:
We loved making pizza from scratch.
Kneading the dough for the base, spreading the tomato layer and grated cheese, then the extra fun of deciding who wants what when adding the toppings. It's mushroom, without, garlic sausage, or without. .. it's an art form pleasing everyone :laugh:

We loved making pizza from scratch.
Kneading the dough for the base, spreading the tomato layer and grated cheese, then the extra fun of deciding who wants what when adding the toppings. It's mushroom, without, garlic sausage, or without. .. it's an art form pleasing everyone :laugh:

I did that too, many moons ago. I still failed to get them cooking... they become teenagers and everything goes out the window!

Strangely enough my only success is regarding an ex girlfriend of my son who lived with us in her mid teens. She has turned up again recently and it transpires she is now a trained pastry chef. She said it was my cooking that inspired her! She came from a very rich family where nobody cooked anything. Strictly ready-meals only, stacked in the fridge.

Lots of things go out of the window when they become teenagers! Including the occasional chair :laugh:
I think it's similar to teaching them to ride a bike, enjoy visiting the library and behaving themselves. Once they reach a certain age, they abandon that sort of stuff, but come back to it later in life. Hopefully in time to teach their own children and grandchildren what they learned many years ago.

Back
Top Bottom