Ghee.

Yorky

RIP 21/01/2024
Local time
2:47 PM
I have a sealed tin of ghee which has been in the salad compartment of our fridge for about 8 years. I was about to bin it but thought that I would first check on the internet and found this "Ghee does not need to be refrigerated. In the unopened can, the shelf life is 15 to 20 years. Once opened, it will stay fresh for 10-12 weeks at room temperature if you use the plastic lid, and 12+ months if refrigerated."

The next time that I cook a decent quantity of curry I shall open the tin and check it out. If it looks and smells OK I will give it a go. Otherwise I'll bin it.

ghee 1 s.jpg

I have a sealed tin of ghee which has been in the salad compartment of our fridge for about 8 years. I was about to bin it but thought that I would first check on the internet and found this "Ghee does not need to be refrigerated. In the unopened can, the shelf life is 15 to 20 years. Once opened, it will stay fresh for 10-12 weeks at room temperature if you use the plastic lid, and 12+ months if refrigerated."

The next time that I cook a decent quantity of curry I shall open the tin and check it out. If it looks and smells OK I will give it a go. Otherwise I'll bin it.

Do you trust the source?

I think it should be OK - if it smells rancid then you will know.

I that corrosion at the bottom of the can?

I had an opened container of ghee in my pantry for a while. I couldn't remember how long it had been there, so I threw it out. It seem that ghee is really similar to oils in terms of storage, but not quite to the same degree,. I probably could have used it, but why take the chance?

I would guess that it's pasteurised as part of the production method, so as long as it it tinned in a sterile environment it should last indefinitely list most tinned foods.

I have a Norwegian T shirt with a picture of a Viking that says "That which does not kill me... Should run."

This could give that expression a whole new meaning.

Nevertheless, the miser in me says give it a go.

Misers are tough.

Nevertheless, the miser in me says give it a go.

Misers are tough.

It's not just being miserly (which I tend to be) it's just that real ghee is not available hereabouts. I cannot remember where that came from.

You can always make it. Well, of course, if butter is available.

Back
Top Bottom