Giant garlic clove

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
5:37 AM
I was wondering whether to post this in the size of vegetables thread but I decided this particular clove of garlic deserved its own thread. :happy: Can you top it?

20171208_141509.jpg

20171208_141522.jpg

20171208_141540.jpg

Is that from the variety called 'elephant garlic'? I tried growing garlic this year and it failed (along with the potatoes):cry:

It wasn't labelled elephant garlic - it was just labelled 'large garlic' from Ocado. I've often purchase this because it does have nice fat cloves - but none as big as this before.

91370011_0_280x280.jpg

The garlic I get from my local greengrocer often has whopping great cloves. I know it's Spanish, but beyond that I couldn't give any further info. We used to have a garlic crusher (now defunct and disposed of) that we used very rarely, but it was a good measure of how big the cloves were and we've had plenty that were way too big to fit into the crusher.

Nothing mega at the moment, but I'll put up any that appear.

We've run across a few really large cloves, mostly from a purple skin variety. We recently purchased some black garlic and it seems the cloves are consistently on the large side. We bought the black garlic to make a congee that one of the Top Chef contestants made.

We recently purchased some black garlic and it seems the cloves are consistently on the large side. We bought the black garlic to make a congee that one of the Top Chef contestants made.

Black garlic? Do you mean the aged garlic - I have some in the cupboard. So - congee!

.... just looked it up: cookbook-review-bar-tartine.html

Directions
  1. If using a dehydrator, wrap the garlic heads in plastic wrap. This traps humidity and prevents the garlic from drying out. Then wrap the heads in several layers of aluminum foil. Hold at 130°F/55°C until the heads are soft and black, about 3 weeks.

2. If using a rice warmer or slow cooker, set it to the warm setting (not the cook setting), place the whole garlic heads in the unit, and leave on until the cloves are soft and black, about 2 weeks

3. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 6 months. Peel the cloves before using.

I have a hard enough time watching eggs in an incubator for 3 weeks. But garlic in a dehydrator for 3 weeks at 55C? That's one big ask of any dehydrator except for the very best models and would also mean I can't use the dehydrator during that period! that's a long time in a dehydrator for sure.

What is so special about Black Garlic please? (perhaps in a new thread?)

I have a hard enough time watching eggs in an incubator for 3 weeks. But garlic in a dehydrator for 3 weeks at 55C? That's one big ask of any dehydrator except for the very best models and would also mean I can't use the dehydrator during that period! that's a long time in a dehydrator for sure.

What is so special about Black Garlic please? (perhaps in a new thread?)

In a word: 'Umami' :).

Back
Top Bottom