Giant-Screen TV!!!! Who Else Has One?!!

I was just talking about screen size the other day with a co worker...she wants a huge screen and i am fine with my 19", i actually watch more stuff lately on my 10” ipad than tv. Heck most my life i watched a 13” so 19” seems nice and big.

My research has led me to believe that as we sit about 2.5 metres from the screen then anything over 43" would be over the top. We recently bought a 43" based upon this recommendation.

It depends what you mean by "over the top" If you mean too much TV, then yes I totally agree, but as far as image quality that is no longer true. The advanced display resolutions in modern TVs, the pixel count is so high that you can now be at 2.5 meters with an 80" and still not see pixelation.

My research has led me to believe that as we sit about 2.5 metres from the screen then anything over 43" would be over the top. We recently bought a 43" based upon this recommendation.

I just measured, and I usually sit about 7 meters from the TV, so 65" is just about right. I still think I should have gone for a 75.

Along with what Hoff just said, 4k resolution has eliminated pixel problems, and so long as your TV has a 120Hz refresh rate or higher, you won't have any problems watching fast motion like in sports. Ice hockey games on TV especially used to suffer from motion blur because of the speed of the game on a very white background.

It depends what you mean by "over the top" If you mean too much TV, then yes I totally agree, but as far as image quality that is no longer true. The advanced display resolutions in modern TVs, the pixel count is so high that you can now be at 2.5 meters with an 80" and still not see pixelation.

Yes, I mean too much TV. Our lounge is only small (by design) and the TV is situated on the "long side". Anything over 49" will overpower the room.

house plan.jpg

Our lounge upstairs is big, but I sit on the floor at night ( I know, I'm weird) and lean on the couch, and I'm only 2 metres away. 55 is perfect. We entertain up there. The 42 downstairs is mainly for background noise and able to be seen from the kitchen.

Russ

I find it difficult to understand why people buy huge tvs and mount them on the wall so that they have to sit with their heads tilted up at an un-natural angle

Even stranger - which seems to happen a lot in my town is that folk place them bang square in the bay window of the front room - blocking out light and presenting a back view of their TV to passers-by. I think its a question of 'where will it fit?'.

Back
Top Bottom