Ingredients
9 cups water
½ teaspoon cream of tartar*
¼ cup fresh ginger, peeled and grated
¼ cup fresh lemon juice
1 cup cane sugar
1 teaspoon active dry yeast
You Also Need:
1 2 litre plastic bottle with screw top or four half litre bottles (pop bottle(s), carefully cleaned).
A medium to large sized pot for heating water

Instructions
  • Add the cream of tartar, lemon juice and fresh ginger to a large pot along with 4 cups of the water. Bring it to a full boil.
  • Turn the heat down to medium, slowly add the sugar and stir until all of the sugar is dissolved. Stirring should help prevent any sugar sticking to the base of the pan
  • Add the rest of the (cold) water to the pot and allow it to cool to around 75 F (23 C).
  • Add the yeast, stir and cover the pot with a kitchen towel.
  • Place the covered pot in a dark place for 3 hours. Allowing it to cool.
  • Using a fine strainer, strain the liquid into a suitable size jug to remove all fine particles.
  • Pour the brew into one clean 2 litre plastic bottle, or four half litre bottles, but do not fill up the bottle(s) all the way because the fermentation will yield carbon dioxide, causing gases to build in the bottle.
  • Place the bottle(s) in a dark, warm room for 2 to 3 days (two days if you want a sweeter ginger beer, and 3 days if you prefer a drier ginger beer).
  • One to three times a day, carefully loosen the caps to relieve some of the pressure (without opening the bottles all the way). Take care whilst doing this and do not point the bottle(s) at anyone’s or your own face.
  • Once the ginger beer has finished brewing, store it in the refrigerator to chill. This will also slow the fermentation process.

Notes
Ensure all equipment is clean prior to use
*You can replace the cream of tarter with 1 teaspoon of baking powder.
A two litre coke bottle can hold 300 PSI before exploding. Over fill the bottle and it can explode

Last edited:
I was thinking of something like this but you beat me to it. Cream of tartar and yeast would not feature in mine though. Neither would there be the likelihood and any explosions. This is a very interesting mixture.

I was thinking of something like this but you beat me to it. Cream of tartar and yeast would not feature in mine though. Neither would there be the likelihood and any explosions. This is a very interesting mixture.
The warning is given so you are aware. Rubber bungs* of the correct size can be bought, but that just adds to the cost.

*If used, a strip of cling film, approx 4 inches wide. Folded in half, and half again. One end tied around the neck of the bottle, with the other tied to the loop it makes. Not too tight over the the bung, will allow the bung to be forced out but be caught/stopped.

Back
Top Bottom