Recipe Gingered Prawns with Orange Rapture Sauce and Linguine

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
7:53 PM
This recipe was inspired by the beautiful Orange Rapture tomatoes, grown here in Kent. You could make this with any good ripe tomatoes, of course but use golden or yellow tomatoes if you want the colour. Saffron and splash of white wine adds a real depth and aromatic twist to the sauce. (Serves 2 as a main course)

DSCF2925.jpg

DSCF2927.jpg

Photographed today in natural light

Ingredients:
250g Orange Rapture tomatoes (or alternative golden tomatoes)
1 medium onion, chopped
Vegetable oil to fry
4 large cloves of garlic grated or crushed
Large pinch saffron (I used .05 g of powdered saffron)
200g shelled uncooked prawns (fresh or frozen defrosted)
1 heaped tbsp grated fresh ginger
Splash of white wine (optional)
150g linguine

Method:
  • Place 2 grated or crushed cloves of garlic and the fresh grated ginger in a bowl and add the prawns, tossing them to coat. Leave to marinate for 1/2 hour.
Meanwhile, make the sauce and cook the linguine:
  • Cook the chopped onion gently in vegetable oil until softened (10 minutes).
  • Add the remaining 2 grated or crushed garlic cloves and cook for a further 3 or 4 minutes.
  • Add the tomatoes, chopped into quarters and a splash of white wine. Turn up the heat and cook hard for a minute, to burn off the alcohol.
  • Add the saffron and simmer for 20 minutes until the tomatoes are softened. Add salt to taste and keep warm. If you wish, you can puree the tomato sauce using a blender (I did).
  • Place the linguine in boiling salted water and cook for 20 minutes.
Now sear the prawns:
  • Heat a little oil in a large non-stick frying pan until hot. Add the prawns and cook on a high heat for approximately 5 minutes turning, until the prawns char slightly. Turn off the smoke alarm
  • At this point you should have a wonderful aroma permeating the kitchen which should remind you of best fish restaurants.
  • Mix together the cooked drained linguine, sauce and prawns and serve.

Last edited:
I'm sitting here in the hammock looking at this thinking what else could I to make it vegan because it looks and sounds so good! I'm thinking mushrooms, button mushrooms whole, it's all I can think of. Those lovely pink centred ones would work really well. Were it not so hot here, if put it on the menu for next week!

What, what, what!!!!
The alcohol in wine is always burned off in cooking. You can do it slow or fast. Either way unless you add it at the very end and switch off the heat, the alcohol will be burnt of and you will be left with a depth of flavour you can't get any other way. If you add wine at the end and don't heat further, then you will be left with an unpleasant 'raw' wine taste. Really!

I always find it amusing when teetotal people say they don't add alcohol to cooked food. They don't realise that they won't actually be taking in any alcohol.

The only cases (that I can think of) where the alcohol content remains are obviously in foods where the alcohol is added afterwards or where the food isn't cooked. Like sherry trifle, or rum added to a maturing Christmas cake.

New thread....

OK - having done some research (I'm now bored by the whole subject) I will have to eat my words regarding the above post. Its commonly assumed that alchol is 'burnt off' when cooking and many Chefs will tell you that. But it seems that its not always the case http://www.todayifoundout.com/index...doesnt-really-cook-out-of-food-in-most-cases/

Nevertheless, it is essential to 'cook' the wine in a sauce to achieve the flavour - and to be honest the small amount used when split amongst the portions is negligible.

I'm sitting here in the hammock looking at this thinking what else could I to make it vegan because it looks and sounds so good! I'm thinking mushrooms, button mushrooms whole, it's all I can think of. Those lovely pink centred ones would work really well. Were it not so hot here, if put it on the menu for next week!
Don't know why but I am thinking pineapple!

This recipe was inspired by the beautiful Orange Rapture tomatoes, grown here in Kent. You could make this with any good ripe tomatoes, of course but use golden or yellow tomatoes if you want the colour. Saffron and splash of white wine adds a real depth and aromatic twist to the sauce. (Serves 2 as a main course)

I have included prawns (freshwater) on my wife's shopping list for Monday. I doubt whether she will find any yellow tomatoes and we shall have to make do with any style of pasta that is available, Turmeric will definitely be a substitute for saffron and probably a splash of beer instead of the wine, but I'll give it a go.

I have included prawns (freshwater) on my wife's shopping list for Monday. I doubt whether she will find any yellow tomatoes and we shall have to make do with any style of pasta that is available, Turmeric will definitely be a substitute for saffron and probably a splash of beer instead of the wine, but I'll give it a go.

You really can't substitute saffron with turmeric. It would be a very different (possibly interesting) dish! Can't you get saffron?

You really can't substitute saffron with turmeric. It would be a very different (possibly interesting) dish! Can't you get saffron?

Given that the price of saffron is akin to that of a small car here, I'll go for the different dish.

Back
Top Bottom