Recipe Gingered Prawns with Orange Rapture Sauce and Linguine

Good point, I don't remember ever having eaten pineapple with pasta. However, I think this dish would be better accompanied by rice, which would go with pineapple. Love the recipe, thank you @morning glory for a splendid lunch:

View attachment 4131

Thank you! Did you use golden tomatoes and saffron? Or am I confused... you image looks a bit lacking in the golden yellow colour.

I've taken the liberty of tweaking your photo a bit - but it still doesn't look golden!

tmp_2457-20161119_151210-1694944906.jpg

OK. you posted the ingredients as a thumbnail (I've made it full size). I can see you used big tomatoes which aren't very orange. The insides of these (being rather large) would probably be a little pale, I guess?

Should you ever want to make this again, here are the tomatoes I used (available from Tesco's - although it may be regional, as they are Kent grown):
IDShot_540x540-5.jpg

Waitrose also do orange tomatoes:

LN_869296_BP_11-2.jpg

Lidl do them too. in an assorted 'heritage tomatoes' pack which also contain purple and green ones.

I'm really chuffed you did the recipe though!:D

Last edited:
The tomatoes were more yellow than orange - heritage from the veg stall. Saffron didn't add anything to the colour. Cracking lunch though!

The tomatoes were more yellow than orange - heritage from the veg stall. Saffron didn't add anything to the colour. Cracking lunch though!
The saffron must be problematic if it didn't add colour! It really should. Where are you getting your saffron from? I do think using baby tomatoes would have helped with the colour though... but the main thing is, you enjoyed it! :D

The saffron must be problematic if it didn't add colour! It really should. Where are you getting your saffron from? I do think using baby tomatoes would have helped with the colour though... but the main thing is, you enjoyed it! :D
Saffron was bought as strands in a jar - reconstituted in warmed white wine. Never had much success with this.

Right, I have a plan. Prawns, tomatoes and pasta (whatever is available) tomorrow from the supermarket, I shall apply for a bank loan for the saffron. Luckily, a friend heard that I needed ginger so he brought me a little today. The rest of the ingredients I currently have in the house.

fresh ginger s.jpg

I gather that Saffron isn't grown in Thailand and you need to beware of fake substitutes (safflower). But a bit of research tells me you can sometimes get it from Indian markets - that would be in Bangkok I guess...

Saffron is expensive, but you don't need an awful at a time - so it lasts a long time. I used about £1's worth in the recipe. Re the tomatoes - if at all possible go for little deeply coloured tomatoes - you will get better flavour and colour in the finished dish.

Last edited:
Luckily, a friend heard that I needed ginger so he brought me a little today.

There's 700 grams (over 1.5 imp. pounds) of ginger root there! I now need to persuade my wife to peel it (or bite the bullet and peel it myself, despite my bad back).

[Edit: BTW, I think you ought to tag "ginger" in the thread]

There's 700 grams (over 1.5 imp. pounds) of ginger root there! I now need to persuade my wife to peel it (or bite the bullet and peel it myself, despite my bad back).

[Edit: BTW, I think you ought to tag "ginger" in the thread]
Yes, good point. Did you know that you can add tags to other people's threads? Just click on tags... but members can only add up to 4 tags so I don't know if you would be able to add one to this thread, as it already has 5 tags. Try it and see.

Re peeling ginger, I don't find it that onerous - but I tend to chop off the knobbly bits! Its easier to peel if its fresh. How does your wife go about peeling it?

How does your wife go about peeling it?

Given a whip and a threat to cut her allowance, I may find out tomorrow.

If I was peeling it (which I may be), I would cut the ginger into manageable pieces and then trim off the hard skin with my 10" chef's knife.

Given a whip and a threat to cut her allowance, I may find out tomorrow.

If I was peeling it (which I may be), I would cut the ginger into manageable pieces and then trim off the hard skin with my 10" chef's knife.
It ought to scrape off with a knife if its fresh.

The ginger that I have (as above) is about half way between old ginger and young ginger. Given that I am intending it to be pureed I reckon just cut off the lumpy bits and it should be OK.

Back
Top Bottom