Giving up smoking

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
6:11 AM
Are you an ex-smoker? Or perhaps you are currently a smoker. @Wandering Bob mentioned in another thread that he has just given up. What are your experiences of trying to give it up? What are the good things about stopping the habit? And do you have any tips or tricks?

I used to smoke heavily but eventually managed to stop quite a few years ago by using a nicotine replacement system (this was before the days of vaping). It took me a year on nicotine replacement to finally stop but two benefits became very obvious: the nasty cough I had disappeared within a week and suddenly, food tasted much better!

I really should stop smoking. Doctors go ballistic. I think they get reimbursed by insurance companies for the repeated don't smoke or else speeches, as I saw "smoking cessation" on a claim reimbursement form. Just curious, what method specifically did you use to quit?

Last edited:
That is one of the few vices I never picked up. My oldest daughter is on her longest attempt at quitting smoking. She hasn't had a smoke in 5 weeks.

.Just curious, what method specifically did you use to quit?

It was a system which doesn't exist any more - a plastic tube in a cigarette shape into which nicotine capsules were inserted. You sucked in as you would do on a cigarette and the air went through the capsule thereby releasing nicotine into the mouth, which was absorbed into the cheeks I believe. Its similar to 'vaping' which in the UK seems to be more popular than smoking these days.

Do you have vaping in the USA?

I didn't smoke but I used smokeless for years. I quite cold turkey when the price per can of Copenhagen went from a couple bucks per can to over $5.00 per can in 2009. Both of my brothers died of lung cancer from smoking.:mad:
One quit 10 years before he died.:eek: I'm the only one in my (at the time) immediate family that didn't smoke tobacco. Now "herb" was a different story.

Last edited:
I tried e-cigarettes once, but I couldn't get any satisfaction. I've seen kids vaping, but I'm concerned about the apparatus exploding.

I tried e-cigarettes once, but I couldn't get any satisfaction. I've seen kids vaping, but I'm concerned about the apparatus exploding.

Well, I've not heard of that happening (exploding). But it might just be worth risking it to give up. I would say that I can't believe I ever did it - but, in fact, I can. I rather enjoyed it and that is the problem.

Well, I've not heard of that happening (exploding). But it might just be worth risking it to give up. I would say that I can't believe I ever did it - but, in fact, I can. I rather enjoyed it and that is the problem.

It's pretty scary. I've seen it on the news. If you have it in your pocket, your pocket can catch on fire, or it's exploded in some people's faces. too scary for me.

It's pretty scary. I've seen it on the news. If you have it in your pocket, your pocket can catch on fire, or it's exploded in some people's faces. too scary for me.

Now you mention it, I remember I have heard something. But I think that is sorted out now. Well, in the UK it is. More people vape than smoke here, it seems. What about nicotine chewing gum? Have you tried that? I am certain it doesn't explode. :) I used that once before and it was quite effective.

Back
Top Bottom