Gluten-Free help needed!

AreJay

Local time
11:19 PM
432B2E83-4D19-47D4-B866-A8D420323F8D.jpeg

I’m bringing fresh bread to my wife’s aunt and uncle’s dinner on Christmas Eve. I was alerted a few days ago that there are two people needing gluten-free bread. I’ve never baked with gluten-free flour before. A brand I bought states that it’s a “1 for 1” replacement for gluten flour. Has anyone ever used Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free Flour before? I looked on their website and it further states that it’s a 1 for 1 replacement for AP flour. I wish it said that on the bag. What do I do? I’m in a jam with very little time. Can I ask you all for some advice? Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
View attachment 12369

I’m bringing fresh bread to my wife’s aunt and uncle’s dinner on Christmas Eve. I was alerted a few days ago that there are two people needing gluten-free bread. I’ve never baked with gluten-free flour before. A brand I bought states that it’s a “1 for 1” replacement for gluten flour. Has anyone ever used Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free Flour before? I looked on their website and it further states that it’s a 1 for 1 replacement for AP flour. I wish it said that on the bag. What do I do? I’m in a jam with very little time. Can I ask you all for some advice? Thank you.

@Herbie might know more but she like me is in the UK so we obviously don't have Bob's Red Mill. My adventure into gluten free pastry was not a success (hard and chewy!) and I've yet to try gluten free bread. Is there not a recipe on the pack?

I just looked at their website - there is a recipe for 'French Bread' which uses the flour you yave. It does specify Xanthum Gum which most gluten free bread recipes do. The loaf in the photo doesn't look anything like any French bread I've seen, but it looks quite nice. You could try making it minus the xanthum. Xanthum is used for structure but isn't entirely essential.

https://www.bobsredmill.com/recipes/how-to-make/gluten-free-french-bread/

GF-French-Bread-7-600x906.jpg

Hello:wave:
I'e not used red mill but my tips are:

Use a recipe that states the brand and type of flour as gf flour blends differ
Don't use a 'normal' recipe
Follow the instructions on kneading/proving as this is also different to 'normal' bread
Check yeast (if using dried yeast) as some have gluten in the mix (also use gf baking powder for gf recipes)
You may need to buy xantham as @morning glory said.

Don't be surprised if it fails! Good luck:D

Back
Top Bottom