Gluten withdrawal symptoms?

rubydust

Veteran
Local time
1:11 PM
My son has been having terrible abdominal pain and vomiting for a long time. Doctors don't have a diagnosis yet, despite many tests. I'm looking into diet and am experimenting with cutting out certain foods.

We have removed all wheat and gluten. I'm doing the same for all the family, so that I don't have to cook different meals. I've been having bad headaches though, since I started this, and feel very tired all the time.

Could this be withdrawal symptoms? Has anyone else experienced this? How long does the feeling last?

It is hard to get off gluten, but everyday you are off it gets easier and easier. When you start, I think it is important to have as many alternate carbs around as possible, such as rice, gluten free bread, quinoa, etc. Things that are cooked or prepared and ready to grab and eat. I think if you are not getting enough alternate carbs then your blood sugar could dip and that could cause headaches. Everyone is different of course but when you drastically alter your diet like that headaches could occur. Stick with it though! Usually a week in I am feeling great and back to normal, and wouldn't dare want to touch any bread to get off track and have to deal with "withdrawing" again.

That's really good advice about having a range of alternative carbs to hand. I have been focusing more on yoghurt type snacks. We've been eating more fruit though, at least. I'm sure the lack of carbohydrates in general will be making me feel tired. I'm still feeling generally disgruntled, but no headache now.

It's my daughter's birthday today, so what better excuse for some gluten free cake?

I do find some of the gluten free cake and cookie mixes are not that bad, they hit the spot enough so you get over the craving for a while. Something I find interesting too is I could eat loads of regular cakes, cookies, muffins, breads, etc., but when I eat the gluten free variety I seem to be satiated enough with a regular serving. To me that really shows there is something about gluten and me that is very, very wrong, despite me testing negative for celiac or allergies.

If you are in the states Trader Joe's has an amazing gluten free cupcake in the bakery section. I believe it's 3.99 for a pack of 4 very rich, vanilla frosted chocolate cupcakes.

Oh wow, I did knot know that you could have withdrawl symptoms from getting away from gluten. These sound like the withdrawl symptoms that many people have when getting coffee out of their diet. It is scary that our bodies become so dependent on ingredients that we actual feel I'll when we stop consuming them.

Back
Top Bottom