Recipe Gnudi

MypinchofItaly

Forum GOD!
Local time
5:13 AM
Website
mypinchofitaly.co.uk
I recently saved the sage plant that was groping on my terrace, so having butter in the fridge, fresh spinach and ricotta, I thought of preparing the Gnudi.
They are ricotta typical of Tuscan cuisine, without filling the pasta to 'cover' it. In fact 'gnudi' means 'nudes'.
Tradition calls for spinach, but can also be done with nettle or swiss chard.
In the past, being still a poor dish, if there were no spinach or beets, they were substituted with wild herbs.

Serves: 4 | Preparation time: 20 mins | Cooking time: 10 mins

• Spinach: 200 g
  • Sheep Milk Ricotta: 200 g
  • Butter: 50 - 60 g
  • Parmesan, grated: 50 g
  • Plain flour: 30-40 g
  • Garlic: 2 cloves
  • Sage, fresh: 5-6 leaves
  • Eggs: 2 yolks
  • Extra virgin olive oil (EVOO): as needed
  • Nutmeg: a pinch
  • Salt and black pepper, to taste

Method

Tip: Fresh spinach gives the best results, but you can also use frozen spinach if needs be. Just make sure to defrost it completely before you start to cook.

Boil the spinach in unsalted water, remove it from the water with a skimmer and squeeze it well to get rid of as much water as possible. Chop the spinach and brown them in a pan along with some Evoo oil and the garlic. Season to taste and set aside both the spinach and the water you cooked them in.

Mix the ricotta with a fork to make it creamier and break all the lumps. Add the spinach, the Parmesan, the yolks, the nutmeg and a bit of salt and pepper. Mix thoroughly.

Shape the ricotta and spinach mixture into bite-sized balls; coat them with flour to prevent them from sticking to each other or to your work surface.

Melt the butter in a pan and brown the sage leaves. Keep the butter warm without burning it.

Bring the water in which you cooked the spinach to a gentle boil and add salt to it. Boil the ricotta balls until they float to the surface, then immediately remove them from the water with a skimmer and place them in the pan with the butter and sage.

Sauté the gnudi for a few seconds, then place them on your serving plates. Sprinkle them with a handful of Parmigiano (or Pecorino), a sprinkle of black pepper and serve right away.

Back
Top Bottom