Recipe Gołąbki ~ Polish Stuffed Cabbage Rolls

Lynne Guinne

Veteran
Local time
3:46 PM
To wit: softened cabbage leaves, stuffed and rolled with a meat mixture and sauced with a tomato product*

Core a large cabbage, then steam or simmer it, pulling the outer leaves off as they soften. Do not let them get too soft - you don't want them to tear when you go to roll them. When cool enough to handle, trim the thick rib down so that it is at about the same thickness as the surrounding leaf.

For each pound of ground meat** you will need:
1/2 cup (a small) chopped onion
1/2 cup raw white rice***
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
an egg

Saute the onion if you wish, or use raw. Mix the rest of the ingredients in with the onion, and add just enough tomato product to make the mixture moist but not wet. Lay a cabbage leaf out on your work surface, add a portion of the raw meat mixture****, and roll-and-tuck the leaf around the meat. If it won't tuck, you can use a toothpick. When you have all of your rolls done, spread some tomato product on the bottom of your roasting pan or casserole dish. Lay the rolls side by side. If you need to make a second layer, spread more tomato on top of the first layer before adding more. I wouldn't cook them any more than two layers deep. When you're done rolling and saucing (you should almost cover the top of the rolls), cover and bake in an oven (350 F/180 C/Gas Mark 4) for an hour to an hour-and-a-half. You really can't overcook. Just make sure the rice is tender.

The more liquid the rolls are baked in, the more you will have for "gravy". Serve these alone, with noodles, or with mashed potatoes (my favorite way).

*For the tomato, you can use anything that is smooth: tomato sauce, puree, juice, or crushed (if you want some pulp and seeds). You will need the equivalent of a large can (28-29 U. S. ounces) for each pound of meat.

**I use extra-lean ground beef - you can use a beef-pork blend, or a meat substitute.

***If you use a brown rice, par-cook the rice. I use brown Basmati rice, bring a cup of water to a boil, then add a cup of raw rice, stir, and simmer for about 10 minutes. Turn off the burner, drain any remaining water in the pot, and return the pot to the burner with the lid off the pot. It will finish cooking when you bake the cabbage rolls.

****The size of the leaf will determine the amount of the meat. You want it nicely filled without making it hard to completely roll up.

Enjoy!

I will have a go at making these - I will try using soya mince in one batch to make them vegan! One question, do you roll the leaf smooth side in or out?

I put the filling goes on the inside side - would that be the smooth side? I use regular green cabbage, not savoy. I follow the natural curve of the leaf when I lay it down on my work surface, so what was on the outside of the head while it was still all together is what goes "face down".

I put the filling goes on the inside side - would that be the smooth side? I use regular green cabbage, not savoy. I follow the natural curve of the leaf when I lay it down on my work surface, so what was on the outside of the head while it was still all together is what goes "face down".
Smooth side is outer side of leaf. Ribbed side is inside then?

I didn't know it had a name...now I'll know what Golabki is when I see it on a menu in a Polish restaurant! Detroit has a large Polish immigrant community, in the city of Hamtramk. I will have to try this at one of their restaurants first - so I can see how the masters do it - and then I'll give it a try myself. This is such a simple recipe, but maybe not an easy one to make well.

Smooth side is outer side of leaf. Ribbed side is inside then?
Something is getting lost in translation! :facepalm: How about photos then? This is the side of the leaf that looks at you when you grab a head of green cabbage:
20171009_003511.jpg

Trim the rib down flat, they lay ^that side of the leaf on your work surface. You then put the filling inside the curved leaf:
20171009_003641.jpg

Fuzzy pics, but did I make it clear on how to stuff a cabbage leaf? If not, I'll need to get a passport and head straight to your place so we can make them together. :wink:

Something is getting lost in translation! :facepalm: How about photos then? This is the side of the leaf that looks at you when you grab a head of green cabbage:
View attachment 10885

Trim the rib down flat, they lay ^that side of the leaf on your work surface. You then put the filling inside the curved leaf:
View attachment 10886

Fuzzy pics, but did I make it clear on how to stuff a cabbage leaf? If not, I'll need to get a passport and head straight to your place so we can make them together. :wink:

OK - its my fault I think for confusing us both. I got it now! :okay:

To wit: softened cabbage leaves, stuffed and rolled with a meat mixture and sauced with a tomato product*

Core a large cabbage, then steam or simmer it, pulling the outer leaves off as they soften. Do not let them get too soft - you don't want them to tear when you go to roll them. When cool enough to handle, trim the thick rib down so that it is at about the same thickness as the surrounding leaf.

For each pound of ground meat** you will need:
1/2 cup (a small) chopped onion
1/2 cup raw white rice***
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
an egg

Saute the onion if you wish, or use raw. Mix the rest of the ingredients in with the onion, and add just enough tomato product to make the mixture moist but not wet. Lay a cabbage leaf out on your work surface, add a portion of the raw meat mixture****, and roll-and-tuck the leaf around the meat. If it won't tuck, you can use a toothpick. When you have all of your rolls done, spread some tomato product on the bottom of your roasting pan or casserole dish. Lay the rolls side by side. If you need to make a second layer, spread more tomato on top of the first layer before adding more. I wouldn't cook them any more than two layers deep. When you're done rolling and saucing (you should almost cover the top of the rolls), cover and bake in an oven (350 F/180 C/Gas Mark 4) for an hour to an hour-and-a-half. You really can't overcook. Just make sure the rice is tender.

The more liquid the rolls are baked in, the more you will have for "gravy". Serve these alone, with noodles, or with mashed potatoes (my favorite way).

*For the tomato, you can use anything that is smooth: tomato sauce, puree, juice, or crushed (if you want some pulp and seeds). You will need the equivalent of a large can (28-29 U. S. ounces) for each pound of meat.

**I use extra-lean ground beef - you can use a beef-pork blend, or a meat substitute.

***If you use a brown rice, par-cook the rice. I use brown Basmati rice, bring a cup of water to a boil, then add a cup of raw rice, stir, and simmer for about 10 minutes. Turn off the burner, drain any remaining water in the pot, and return the pot to the burner with the lid off the pot. It will finish cooking when you bake the cabbage rolls.

****The size of the leaf will determine the amount of the meat. You want it nicely filled without making it hard to completely roll up.

Enjoy!
Brings back memories !!.... I'm "200%" Polish and these were a staple when I was growing up...still get to enjoy at a local Polish restaurant.....

@Lynne Guinne

I did not know that cabbage rolls were of Polish origin. :scratchhead:

I thought they were a southern thing. Both of my Grandmothers made cabbage rolls. Serious comfort food.

Also easy to freeze. If you are going to go to the trouble of making cabbage rolls just as soon make a big batch and freeze in serving size packages.

Polish, Ukraine, German, Jewish, any one can lay claim to originating the dish. Don't forget, too, that in Iran and Armenia and the middle East that dolmas are popular - a grape leaf variation on stuffed cabbage. No matter where they originated, you're right about them being comfort food, @ElizabethB. When I made my batch we had enough for two+ meals...plus another meal in the freezer...plus another container in the freezer that will be good for two meals. That larger one in the freezer has been earmarked for when we get back from our next trip. Next month we head to Florida, with stops along the way down and back to visit people. I know I'll have a couple meals waiting for us; all I'll need to do is make some mashed potatoes (another comfort food) and a veggie - possibly pulled from the freezer.

Bump. I know this is an old thread, however, I was searching the Forum to see if there was a stuffed cabbage thread and this one came up.

I have a recipe with a twist for stuffed cabbage with whole Berry cranberry sauce made in a slow cooker. Planning on making it and serving it with horseradish mashed potatoes on the side. Will go through my files and share the link.

Edit: This is a slightly different, more modernized version than my mother and grandmother made. Theirs were a little bland. This version is made in a slow cooker with whole berry cranberry sauce.

Slow Cooker Stuffed Cabbage with Cranberry-Tomato Sauce

https://www.womansday.com/food-reci...tuffed-cabbage-cranberry-tomato-sauce-121956/

I skipped the brown sugar, lemon juice, diced tomatoes, and raisins. Too much sugar for me, and used ground turkey. Adding raisins to the meat or turkey mixture is another idea.

Going to look for Savoy cabbage. As I understand it, there is no need to boil or blanch the leaves, or freeze the cabbage head so the leaves are more pliable.

Last edited:
Edit: This is a slightly different, more modernized version than my mother and grandmother made. Theirs were a little bland. This version is made in a slow cooker with whole berry cranberry sauce.
If anyone were to ask me what my first reaction would be to stuffed cabbage, it would be to stifle a yawn. The kind I've had at family get-togethers have basically been a ton of hamburger and rice stuffed into cabbage leaves, seemingly with no flavoring (even salt). I have had good stuffed cabbage at Polish restaurants, however.

But, I really like this take on stuffed cabbage, but how about this: since Thanksgiving isn't far away, I can see this done with ground turkey to make like a Thanksgiving dinner. Hmm...I sense an idea forming...

I agree. I don't think anyone has tryed to update this recipe in years. I did like the original when I was growing up, but as you said it's a little bit of a yawn. It's kind of like porcupine meatballs rolled up in a cabbage leaf with tomato sauce poured over the top.

I usually have orzo rather than rice hanging around the house, so that's another option.

I wanted to start a thread about how do you make stuffed cabbage, but wasn't sure how. Maybe Morning Glory can help me out.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom