Recipe Gochujang Cioppino

CraigC

Guru
Local time
10:00 PM
We got this recipe from the October 2017 F&W magazine. If you're @morning glory, you'll probably enjoy the full amount of gochujang or more. Karen thought it was a little on the spicy side. You might want to start with 1/2 the amount, as you can always add some. We skipped the tofu and served it over orzo.

36788-albums1109-picture7590.jpg

Ingredients
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 onion, finely chopped
6 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
2 scallions, thinly sliced, plus more for garnish
One 15-ounce can whole peeled tomatoes, crushed by hand
1/2 cup dry white wine
3 tablespoons Gochujang (Korean red pepper paste)
One 8-ounce bottle clam juice
1/2 pound peeled and deveined large shrimp
1/2 pound cleaned squid, bodies thinly sliced and tentacles halved
1/2 pound mussels, scrubbed and debearded
1/2 pound cod, cut into 1-inch pieces
1/2 pound firm tofu, cut into 1-inch pieces (optional)

Rice crackers or steamed rice,
for serving

Directions

1) In a large cast-iron casserole, heat
the oil. Add the onion, garlic and the
2 sliced scallions; cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until softened, 7 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes, wine and gochujang and cook, stirring, until the tomatoes just start to break down, about 5 minutes.
2) Add the clam juice and bring to a boil. Nestle the seafood and tofu in the broth. Cover and cook over moderate heat until the mussels open and the other seafood is opaque, about 7 minutes. Ladle the cioppino into shallow bowls and garnish with scallion. Serve with rice crackers or steamed rice. If using rice or orzo, mound it in the bowl first.

This looks lovely! I managed to get some Gochujang (its not so easily available here) so one to bookmark. I don't think I can get clam juice though...

This looks lovely! I managed to get some Gochujang (its not so easily available here) so one to bookmark. I don't think I can get clam juice though...

Steam some clams in white wine, garlic and green onions. Eat the clams and avoid the temptation to soak up the juice with crusty bread!

Or just use shrimp stock made from the shrimp shells and tails, which is more than likely what we did because I CANNOT stand bottled clam juice.

Thanks for the recipe, I'll see if my local Asian shop has this product. I was in Seoul about 20 years ago and the food was really amazing. My wife says she had the best ever salad there. I havnt been able to replicate that. I hope I didn't eat dog there, I was wary,lol.

Russ

I'm not sure I'm with ya on this one, Craigsy.

While Cioppino is an awesome dish, I am reluctant in using such a distinctive paste for the heat.

To make my argument, one complaint about Korean cooking is that it often has a quality of a single note, that being of the flavor of garlic and hot peppers, or gochujang.

It's just too much of a good thing for me, I guess. Maybe. I'm probably wrong.

One thing that leads me to this is when I've gotten a "spicy" sushi roll from a Korean joint, vs. a Japanese one. The Korean one is obviously using gochujang as the spicy component, whereas the Japanese one is more wasabi and sweet pepper based.

Last edited:
To make my argument, one complaint about Korean cooking is that it often has a quality of a single note, that being of the flavor of garlic and hot peppers, or gochujang.

As I haven't yet taste gochujang I won't realise as when I make this it will be my first experience - but I know exactly what you mean about certain tastes taking over a dish. In the UK, chorizo (smoked spicy sort) became very popular in all manner of dishes back in the 90's - in fact it still is popular. This has a similar effect to the one you describe. Everything tastes one dimensionally of smoked chorizo - chorizo chicken, chorizo paella, chorizo fish etc.

Back
Top Bottom