Goulash (a question)

Yorky

RIP 21/01/2024
Local time
10:43 AM
It is some time since I cooked goulash and that was made with beef and cooked in the oven for a couple of hours.

This time I'm intending to use pork but only cook enough for two servings (400 gm pork loin). Is there any reason why I cannot simmer the dish on the hob instead of firing up my pathetic oven?

I shall fry the pork, onions and garlic first in a wok and then add the stock, chopped tomatoes and some sliced carrot and spices then cover and simmer for an hour or until the pork is cooked. Unless anyone has a different suggestion.

Yes, you can use the hob.
That sounds fabulous but you might want to check it at about half an hour or 45 minutes.
Keep an eye on your liquid level.

Yes, you can use the hob.
That sounds fabulous but you might want to check it at about half an hour or 45 minutes.
Keep an eye on your liquid level.

Yes, that is more easily done using the hob - I shall use the wok with the glass lid and stir regularly. Just like making a chilli con carne really.

Cheers.

Yes, that is more easily done using the hob - I shall use the wok with the glass lid and stir regularly. Just like making a chilli con carne really.

Cheers.
I have never seen chili con Carne cooked in an oven.
Always done either on a stove (hob) or over an outdoor flame in a big deep pot.
Out here we have things called Chili cook-offs.
People set up outside and cook their signature chili. Usually with a side pot of pinto beans.
But the chili and the beans do not mix.

This was the result. It was OK.

pork goulash s.jpg

[I may throw a few spuds at it next time - if there is one]

Last edited:
I used ceiling bounced flash for that image (8 o'clock). For MG's info, it was with the 18 - 55 mm lense at 31 mm; 1/125 sec; f 10; ISO 1600 (although I should have reduced that to ISO 400 but I forgot). I did capture a couple without flash but the available light at the time was insufficient to give a reading better than f 4.5 (the maximum) at 1/60th and the depth of field was consequently slightly inadequate. In hindsight, I should have used the 50mm prime.

It looks very red! Not saying that's a bad thing. Shouldn't it traditionally be served with sour cream? I'm not sure I ever cooked a goulash as such although it is just a stew really, isn't it?

Yes, just a stew. It's red because there's a lorra red stuff in it: tomatoes, paprika (1 tblsp), chilli powder, tomato puree and a carrot.

[If I could get (or make) sour cream, I would be unlikely to bother - if cream is required, I would usually use yoghurt]

Yes, just a stew. It's red because there's a lorra red stuff in it: tomatoes, paprika (1 tblsp), chilli powder, tomato puree and a carrot.

[If I could get (or make) sour cream, I would be unlikely to bother - if cream is required, I would usually use yoghurt]
I'd use yoghurt too!

This is with the roti this evening on the stoep.....

pork goulash roti s.jpg

17:00 hrs, cloudy. 50 mm prime; 1/80th; f 3.2; ISO 400.

Does that look less red to you?

The ingredients were:
  • 300 gm Pork loin or fillet cut into 20 mm cubes and seasoned
  • 1 tblsp Olive oil
  • 1 Onion, roughly chopped
  • 5 Garlic cloves, crushed
  • 200 ml Beef or pork stock (I should have used pork stock but I didn't have any)
  • 1 tsp Chili powder (maybe half would have been better)
  • 1 tblsp Paprika (again, maybe I should have used only half)
  • 200 gm Tomatoes, peeled and chopped
  • ½ tblsp Tomato puree
  • 1 Carrot, sliced (it was a large carrot)
  • 1 Bay leaf
  • Salt and black pepper
We live and learn every day.

I just looked up stoep - I thought it was the name of the dish (which looked identical to the Goulash). But it means verandah!

Whats a stoep? :happy:

In the tropics, we have a sitting area in the front of the house. I think it was the South African Boers who Christened it a "stoep". I think the Americans call it a porch.

[But you know that!]

I always think of a verandah as belonging to a hotel room some distance above first floor level; a porch as being at ground floor level but enclosed as weather protection. Mine is at ground floor level but open sided so it always has been known as the stoep.

stoep-1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom