Gourmet Ideas

KopperCupfoot

Local time
3:13 PM
Sorry if the title is misleading but couldnt come up with anything better. I'm a slightly repressed imaginitive chef. I dont get time to test out ideas as much as i love coming up with new ideas but maybe other people can test the thoughts i have or find them interesting. I work at a sorta ma and pa restraunt so i dont have the equipment or wiggle room to try theses things. So heres my first one.

1)A dome of gold and silver with spices laced through out it. You place the dome ontop of the food and fill with gas or even the dome is a tempature sensitive so your bring heat to it and it melts away. Once filled you light the gas and watch as it melts away the dome and seasons the food hiding underneath.

I had two ideas for this meal both i gave silly names but feel free to try these out maybe tinker them give me feedback.

Pheonix's Egg: a spicy chicken placed atop a fresh bed of wild rice that has been seasoned with a garlic gelatin orbs.

Or
Mermaid's Treasure: a spicy fish (maybe sword) placed atop a white truffle risotto with orbs of cumin and garlic

Sorry if the title is misleading but couldnt come up with anything better. I'm a slightly repressed imaginitive chef. I dont get time to test out ideas as much as i love coming up with new ideas but maybe other people can test the thoughts i have or find them interesting. I work at a sorta ma and pa restraunt so i dont have the equipment or wiggle room to try theses things. So heres my first one.

1)A dome of gold and silver with spices laced through out it. You place the dome ontop of the food and fill with gas or even the dome is a tempature sensitive so your bring heat to it and it melts away. Once filled you light the gas and watch as it melts away the dome and seasons the food hiding underneath.

I had two ideas for this meal both i gave silly names but feel free to try these out maybe tinker them give me feedback.

Pheonix's Egg: a spicy chicken placed atop a fresh bed of wild rice that has been seasoned with a garlic gelatin orbs.

Or
Mermaid's Treasure: a spicy fish (maybe sword) placed atop a white truffle risotto with orbs of cumin and garlic

Well this is quite something to think about! I like the Mermaid's Treasure idea. What would you make the dome from? And how do you make 'orbs of cumin and garlic'?

Orbs would be from an aspic most likely the dome ive had the hardest time trying to think of how id do it i almost thought of a liquid nitrogen frozen aspic dome but i dont know quite honestly

Firstly, welcome to CookingBites, @KopperCupfoot ..

Sounds like an amazing work of art and very " El Bulli " ..

The Dome could also be made with Caramelised Sugar & Brown Bag Paper ..

To make such a dome without Nitrogen Liquid:

1) On a large sheet of Brown bag paper, stencil draw the dome or trace one ..
2) Caramelise the sugar slowly and gently and make sure there are no lumps ..
3) Cut out the parts of the stenciled dome that you will have "open" spaces ..
4) Place another piece of Brown bag paper under-neath the stenciled sheet of Brown bag paper ..
5) Take a Paint brush and Paint over the stencil on the Brown bag paper ..
6) Reserve a tiny bit of the caramelised sugar for pasting the dome to stand up-right onto the plate ..
7) Once you have cut out the openings of the dome on the paper, and the caramelised sugar is ready and you have painted with a brush, cut the dome out. Must let dry so it will peel off paper easily ..
8) It is going to be like a Dome with openings ..
9) Place this on plate and stick it to the dots that you shall make in center or back of plate ( tallest ingredients work best in the back of a plate presentation).

This dome of caramelised sugar is edible as well and / or just provided the optical ..

Hope this has helped you ..

Last edited:
I thought aspic was a jelly? Wouldn't that mean it wouldn't keep a dome shape (unless it was a solid dome of jelly?).

Aspic is a jelly and my thought was to build a mold but i was also looking at fire breathing fuel and their freezing points to see if there was a way to keep the seasonings as pure to their flavour as possible but franscescas method might work for what i want to accomplish here

I do every once in awhile my issue is a lot of it is mental imagery And very difficult to make it look right due to my lack of drawing skills. I was talking to my head chef about this idea and he has no clue but its because its branching on molecular gastronomy and hes a very traditional cook

spun-sugar.jpg

How about this? I've seen chefs make spun sugar - pictured above - and it's spectacular to look at. But, the actual "spinning" doesn't look like it's that hard. The great thing about it is that the basic version consists of sugar, water, and some stabilizer (like cream of tartar). There's no reason you couldn't mix in a variety of other flavors into the sugar solution.

@The Late Night Gourmet

This is very common amongst the French Cuisiniers ( the Chefs trained by Robuchon, Ducasse amongst other Pâtissiers and Chocolatiers ) for their International Pastry & Dessert Awards as well as Michelin Restaurants ..

It is quite impressive ..

There is another design called a "Cage" which is incredible too, and one of the Catalan Chocolatiers, I know, does " triangular cages " .. Quite extraordinary ..

Have a nice evening ..

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom