Graham Crackers

Ellyn

Veteran
Local time
7:53 PM
As fans of recipes and "real" cooking, it seems a cheat--but I don't mind for too long, because the versatile taste and texture is irresistible. I can't do better or faster than just crushed Grahams, and I accept that in all humility.

In a toaster oven with a marshmallow on top, you can roast it into a quick and neat s'mores (don't forget to top with a dollop of Nutella or a square of a chocolate bar, then with another Graham cracker with toasted mashmallow like a sandwich.)

Crushed or whole with frozen fresh cream and fruit, or sprinkled over ice cream...it brings a grounded, woodsy flavor that brings out the sweetness and a variety of texture.

And, of course, mix graham cracker powder with enough oil or butter to make a dough and you have a great crust that you can make as salty or sweet as possible! (I prefer them sweet, as in with sweets--not too sweetened!)

I do agree that they are very versatile and do make a good cheesecake base when crushed and mixed with melted butter. An instant mini-cheesecake can be made with a Graham cracker spread with fruit jelly and a thick layer ofPhiladelphia cheese.

When I'm goling on a long hike, I take a mix of nuts, dried fruit and crackers broken into small pieces to snack on and keep my energy level up. I also like the crackers with strawberries and cream, or soaked into the juice of a fruit salad.

Graham crackers is not only useful for making crust for no bake cheesecake. I also use graham crackers for making refrigerated cake. Mix sweetened condensed milk and whipped cream and pour this mixture to the layered graham crackers lined in a rectangular pyrex and then you can put toppings of fruit cocktail, ripe mango, or pineapple tidbits whichever you like.

Can I ask what a Graham cracker is please? I have never heard of them.

It's a kind of biscuit, I think it was invented or patented by some guy named Graham but I'm not sure. Sadly, I think they have some butter in them (I noticed you're allergic to all dairy) ... but the biscuits can be crushed into a flour that just happened to be preferable to be used in baking than other kinds of crushed biscuits.

I've always used graham when making dessert (graham cake), and I'm going to try using different flavors for every later we're going to eat for this year's Christmas party. I sometimes cheat, making my own cake and still making ones for the rest of the family to enjoy. I sometimes see this as one of the perks when you're the one who makes the dessert, haha.

I always make my own graham cracker crusts fresh by crushing up the crackers and adding sugar and butter. Store bought already made crusts are not all that great. My kids like s'mores so they come up with creative ways in making those to.

A graham cracker will never get old to me!! When you need a fresh take on some yogurt or fruit or cream or a pie crust.....graham cracker to the rescue! It's that sweet yet not too sweet ingredient that I am sure is the secret ingredient to many 'secret ingredient' recipes.

Back
Top Bottom