Graham Kerr

CraigC

Guru
Local time
11:07 AM
Did he have any influence on your cooking? If so, what show had the most, "The Galloping Gourmet" or the show based on his "Minimax cookbook"?

I remember seeing the Galloping Gourmet on UK TV but I'm sure I was only a kid at the time. I'll have to look it up.
I used to skip school when I was in 6th grade to watch Julia and Graham. I'll never forget the bananas Mobimbi or the rum babas. He also told some great stories.

For those that don't know of him here are some snippets from Wiki:
  • British born and educated, Kerr moved to New Zealand in 1958, becoming chief catering adviser for the Royal New Zealand Air Force.
  • He moved into television in New Zealand when being recruited by NZBC producer Shirley Maddock. In 1959, he began hosting the television show Entertaining with Kerr, in which he appeared dressed in military uniform
  • In the early 60's regular cooking show on Channel 10, also called Entertaining with Kerr, as part of the TEN Network, Australia.
  • In the late 1960s after Kerr received a lucrative offer from American television company Fremantle International. and The Galloping Gourmet (1969-71) was launched.
  • After a series of personal setbacks ,Kerr returned to television in 1975 with a daily, syndicated five-minute series, Take Kerr, which featured a particular recipe for each show. This programme reflected Kerr's newfound embrace of both Christianity and healthy eating, with lighter-calorie recipes and Christian elements, including the use of the hymn "This Is the Day the Lord Has Made" as a theme song.
  • After his wife Treena's stroke, then heart attack in 1986, Kerr was prompted to create a new style of cooking that he dubbed "Minimax". This new method of food preparation minimised ("Mini-") fat and cholesterol while it maximised ("-max") aroma, colour, texture and taste.
  • Minimax led to The Graham Kerr Show, originally produced at KING-TV in Seattle and later syndicated to local stations during the 1990–91 season, followed by a run on the Discovery Channel. From 1992 to 1995, Kerr starred on the PBS show Graham Kerr's Kitchen, which again embraced the low-fat, "minimax" approach.
It seems he is still alive and well in his mid eighties, living in Washington.

Here is an article from 2017 in the NYT: - he looks great!

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/09/dining/graham-kerr-galloping-gourmet.html

11GOURMET1-superJumbo.jpg

I used to like the mini-max show. It's really a great idea, and has helped me learn to cook food that both my health conscious wife and I both enjoy.

I vaguely remember him using some kind of primary color scheme to show the changes he made which we healthier choices.

Back
Top Bottom