Recipe Gram's Galumpki

Local time
1:08 PM
Well the Cabbage Challenge ends today and someone asked where was my Cabbage recipe. Some people lead by example, but me I sometimes prefer to observe and in this case campaign for supporters of the Challenge. Based on the entries I can't say it was a successful campaign but as a show of support for Camp Cookingbites here is a recipe I would have contributed to challenge. Who of you is willing to try this one?

Golumpki+5a.jpg

Ingredients

1 or 2 heads of cabbage ( you will need 12-16 large leaves)

1 lb ground beef (80% lean or so)
2 cups cooked rice (cooked five minutes short of specified time)
1 cup onion, finely chopped
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt

tomato soup (1 or 2 small cans) or1 15-ounce can tomato sauce
1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
1 clove garlic, minced

fresh thyme leaves (several sprigs, 1 - 2 teaspoons)

Cut the core from the head of cabbage and wash well. Fill a large saucepan or pot (I use a 4 quart saucepot) with about 2 inches of water. Bring the water to a boil over medium heat. Add ½ teaspoon salt and the head of cabbage, core side down. Cover and cook for approximately 10 minutes or until the outer cabbage leaves are tender and flexible but not mushy.

Carefully remove the head of cabbage from the pot. Run under cold water until it can comfortably be handled. Gently separate the leaves. If you get to the point where the leaves are still crisp return the remaining portion to the boiling water to cook a little longer. Repeat until you have enough cooked leaves for the number of cabbage rolls you want to make (12 -16 large leaves). Set aside.

In a large mixing bowl, combine the ground beef, cooked rice, onion, egg, garlic powder, black pepper and salt. Mix thoroughly. (I reach in and use clean hands to squish the mixture together.)

If using the tomato sauce mixture instead of canned tomato soup, stir together the tomato sauce, lemon juice and minced garlic in a small bowl.

Prepare a baking dish by spraying it with nonstick cooking spray. (I use a 7 x 11 inch rectangular baking dish but this does not usually hold all of the rolls. Any baking dish can be used but cooking time may vary depending on how the rolls are arranged.) Cover the bottom of the dish with half of the tomato soup or tomato sauce mixture. Set the rest of the soup or sauce aside for the topping.

Place cabbage leaves on a cutting board one by one and, with a sharp knife, trim much of the thickness
from the central ridge of the cabbage leaf starting at the core end and cutting toward the outer edge. This will flatten the ridge making it flush with the leaf and easier to roll.

Place ¼ cup of the meat mixture near the lower core edge of the cabbage leaf. Fold the lower edge up over the meat mixture. Then fold in each side of the leaf toward the middle. Roll the leaf tucking in the sides as you go. Squeeze the rolled cabbage leaf in your fist to shape the bundle and place it seam side down in a rectangular baking dish. Repeat until all of the meat mixture has been used.

Cover the cabbage rolls with the remaining tomato soup or sauce. Scatter thyme leaves over all. Cover the pan with a lid or aluminum foil.

Bake at 350 degrees, covered, for 30 minutes. Uncover. Bake another 15 minutes or until ground beef is done through.

Serve and enjoy!

OH, that recipe has been around forever...Many of us who grew up in the Northern climates are very familiar with it..Is is referred to as cabbage rolls or pigs in a blanket. I have made them I think and my mother made them a number of tims when I was growing up.

I made a similar recipe for the challenge but wasn't very happy with the quality of the photo so didn't post it. Here it is, anyway. My recipe uses pork sausagemeat rather than beef:
DSCF2688.jpg

@morning glory . You should have but the result might have been the same. You need to go on Pinterest. How many times have I told you this...you must be tired but I just love the images and don't talking about them. It has the most inviting pictures but ever so often I will see a dish that didn't quite make the photogenic mark but it doesn't stop some posting. I saw some wraps that did not come close to yours.

Cabbage rolls are one of my favorite things to eat. I make them quite often. When I make them I always make a large batch so I can freeze them and have them later. They are a fair amount of work and time consuming but well worth it. When my kids were growing up this was one of their favorite meals.

Back
Top Bottom