Great to be here!!

sjm1027

Local time
10:13 AM
Hello,
I Found Cooking Bites while surfing last night and joined right away. I live just south of Boston and not looking forward to the long winter ahead of us. I love to cook, bake and grill. I love baking sourdough bread or any kind of bread for that matter. Today I made a few pizzas and sourdough crackers from my discard. I typically cook in cast iron and also use pressure cookers. This was a good time to join as I will be looking for ideas for gifts this holiday season. Excited to meet you all
Steve

Welcome to CookingBites @sjm1027. :welcome:

I noticed you mentioned sourdough. I am a keen bread baker but have yet to succeed in making a sourdough starter (3 attempts so far!) so any advice is appreciated.

We are a small, friendly community here and love to have new members on board. Please join in wherever you like or start a new thread.

Currently, we have one challenge running which anyone is welcome to enter. See here: Cookingbites Recipe Challenge: Bananas and Plantain. You could also join in our regular thread: What did you cook, eat or drink today (November 2018)?

Welcome to CookingBites @sjm1027. :welcome:

I noticed you mentioned sourdough. I am a keen bread baker but have yet to succeed in making a sourdough starter (3 attempts so far!) so any advice is appreciated.

We are a small, friendly community here and love to have new members on board. Please join in wherever you like or start a new thread.

Currently, we have one challenge running which anyone is welcome to enter. See here: Cookingbites Recipe Challenge: Bananas and Plantain. You could also join in our regular thread: What did you cook, eat or drink today (November 2018)?

Sourdough starter takes a little while to mature before you can use it. When I made mine about 6 months ago it took 16 days before I actually used it. Could that be your problem, maybe you didn't wait long enough? My starter typically doubles or almost triples about 2.5 to 3 hours after I feed it in a 70˚F environment. Hope this helps

Sourdough starter takes a little while to mature before you can use it. When I made mine about 6 months ago it took 16 days before I actually used it. Could that be your problem, maybe you didn't wait long enough? My starter typically doubles or almost triples about 2.5 to 3 hours after I feed it in a 70˚F environment. Hope this helps

Could be the problem. I am going to move these posts to a new 'sourdough thread'! New thread here: https://www.cookingbites.com/threads/sourdough-secrets.13691/

Last edited:
Welcome! I also like to grill and BBQ. Weather and time of year really has nothing to do with when I do both as I live where there is only summer and tourist season.

Back
Top Bottom