Recipe Greek Beef or Lamb Moussaka with Currants

Francesca

Local time
9:41 PM
moussaka20150313_145336.jpg

This Aubergine meat dish, a Greek Tavern staple, is known the world over as the Greek National Dish. In this lighter versión, I have served it with Greek Yogurt rather than Bechamel Sauce. I have chosen to use Ground Beef instead of Ground Lamb. I served it with some red beetroot .. The origins of this dish, are a lunch we had at a small Tavern in Port Chiana, Greece.

Recipe:

6 Tablesp. Evoo
3 large Green Italian Peppers or Bell Peppers, seeded and sliced or diced into 1 / 2 inch cubes.
1 Kilo of ground beef or lamb
2 cups of minced leeks and shallots ( or onion if your prefer )
2/3 Cup of Greek Red Wine
1 Tsp. Crumbled dried Cayenne Pepper ( 1 guindilla = 1 dried red Cayenne Pepper ) Or you can use pepper flakes if you wish to ..
Two 28 ounce tins or cans of Italian Tomatoes drained and diced finely .. or fresh home made tomato sauce if you prefer ..
1/ 2 cup dried currants ..
2 Tablesp. Tomato paste ..
2 large Male Aubergines / Eggplants : Note: The Male Aubergine on the bottom has a tiny dot and the female has a large oval navel .. Female Aubergines are more bitter and have an excessive amount of seeds. Only buy Male Aubergines.
Note: 2 large aubergines should be 1 kilo and they should be sliced lengthwise into 1 / 4 Inch thick slices.
2 tablps of salt
Evoo
1 kilo of Potatoes
2 Cups Greek Yogurt ..
3 large egg yolks ..

How to´s:

1) Take 2 tblsps of Evoo and place in a Dutch Style Oven on stove top. Put on Medium heat and sauté the peppers approx. 8 minutes until tender ..

2) Transfer the peppers to a glass bowl.

3) Heat 3 tblsps of Evoo in the same cooking vessel, and add the ground meat. Sauté over médium heat. And sauté until just cooked through. Approx. 6 minutes.

4) Now, add the leeks, shallots or the onions and sauté for approx. 5 minutes.

5) Add the red wine, the cayenne dried crumbled chili pepper and sauté 2 minutes.

6) Add the tomatoes or the tomato sauce and the tomato paste, the currants and a pinch of Nutmeg.
Reduce heat to a slow low flame and cover the pot and simmer approx 1 hour ..

7) Now, line a large baking sheet with foil and arrange the aubergine slices in layers on the sheet. Sprinkle with salt and let stand 30 minutes.

8) Pre heat grill or broiler in oven, and line another baking tray with foil.

9) Pat dry all the eggplant slices and brush with Evoo on both sides and Grill until Golden about 4 minutes per side ..

10) Boil the potatoes in a large pot of salted wáter and drain and cool when ready. Slice the potatoes into 1 / 4 inch thick slices.

11) Pre heat oven to 250 C and take a 13x9x2 glass casserole or earthenware and arrange the potatoes as a "bed" on the bottom dressed and brushed in Evoo. Sprinkle a pinch of salt and black pepper.

12) Now place the meat concoction on top of the potatoes and arrange the sautéed peppers over the tomato based concoction .. Now, do the same with the aubergine slices.

13) Bake the Moussaka until bubbling about 45 minutes.

14) Spoon off any excess fat and using the back of a spoon, press down on the Moussaka to compact the layers.

15) Whisk the yolks and the Greek Yogurt until well combined. Sprinkle with a bit of salt ..

16) Bake until the Yogurt topping is softly set - about 15 minutes.

17) Transfer the Moussaka to a rack and let stand 20 - 30 minutes.

18) Ready to serve !!

Last edited:
This has potatoes - I have occasionally heard of that but the version I'm used to (and make) doesn't. Perhaps traditions vary according to region but most recipes I have (and google) have no potatoes. I also use cinnamon which I believe is traditional.

Last edited:
This has potatoes - I have occasionally heard of that but the version I'm used to (and make) doesn't. Perhaps traditions vary according to region but most recipes I have (and google) have no potatoes. I also use cinnamon which I believe is traditional.

@morning glory

I used a pinch of nutmeg in the ground beef .. This récipe was given to me when we had travelled in Port Chiana, Crete.

Some recipes call for potatoes and some do not ..

Have a nice day ..

Back
Top Bottom