Grocery bags

Local time
4:38 PM
Used grocery bags are very useful and always come in handy, not only in the kitchen, but they have other uses as well. We use the plastic grocery bags here. After unpacking our groceries at home, we store all of the bags in one place. We never throw them away. I can think of several things that I can use these bags for. When I have anything to give a friend, like some fruit from off of my trees, for instance, I can always reach for one of these bags to put them in. But this is only one of the many uses that I can think of.

What do you do with your grocery bags? Do you fold them and keep them handy for storing not only foodstuffs, but other items as well? I find them to be very useful.

Start charging for them, from the 5th of this month, over here.

Depending on the bag, I'll often use them as a waterproofing layer when carrying stuff on a bike.

In Wales, all shops and stores have been charging for plastic shopping bags for a couple of years. Most people now dont have any plastic bags. We all have bags called bags for liffe. Heavy duty bags that last quite a long time. If and when the bag eventually breaks/fails simply take it back to the shop and they will replace it free of charge.

I don't miss having loads of plastic bags anymore although I must admit I used to use them to put the rubbish/garbage into.

the charge that all shops will and are charging is as a result of re cycling rules. Plastic is very unfriendly and take thousands of years to break down. This causes huge environmental problems. Quite a few shops did have bio degradable plastic bags. However they had a tendancy to break dowm even before we managed to get
From the shop to the car. The literally broke and fell apart within a few minutes in some cases.

In Wales, all shops and stores have been charging for plastic shopping bags for a couple of years. Most people now dont have any plastic bags. We all have bags called bags for liffe. Heavy duty bags that last quite a long time. If and when the bag eventually breaks/fails simply take it back to the shop and they will replace it free of charge.

I don't miss having loads of plastic bags anymore although I must admit I used to use them to put the rubbish/garbage into.

the charge that all shops will and are charging is as a result of re cycling rules. Plastic is very unfriendly and take thousands of years to break down. This causes huge environmental problems. Quite a few shops did have bio degradable plastic bags. However they had a tendancy to break dowm even before we managed to get
From the shop to the car. The literally broke and fell apart within a few minutes in some cases.
My bag for life had a very short life on Friday. Less than 100 yards before the bottom gave way.

My bag for life had a very short life on Friday. Less than 100 yards before the bottom gave way.

:roflmao::roflmao: bio degradeable bags here are the subject of much laughter, jokes, and merriment. They always bring a smile to peoples faces regarding the length of time they last......or dont in most cases.

:roflmao::roflmao: bio degradeable bags here are the subject of much laughter, jokes, and merriment. They always bring a smile to peoples faces regarding the length of time they last......or dont in most cases.
Its replacement goes back tomorrow. The side split!

I always try to get paper bags when I am at the grocery store and reuse them as my recycling containers. I keep one under the sink and we put all of our recyclable items in that and then I toss the whole bag into the recycle bin.

I use the plastic bags from the store as liners for the trash bags and I recycle them by giving them to the food bank. I fold my bags and store them in oatmeal boxes and chip containers like the pringles can.

When it comes to grocery bags or shopping paper bags I do not throw them after I had removed all the things in it. I segregate separately the grocery bags and shopping paper bags, fold it nicely and put it in one drawer of my kitchen cabinet. I am always organized when it comes to this things. So that when I need them for use I will just get it there.

Our uncle from the US taught us how to fold plastic grocery bags properly so it would be small like a cigar. Where before we throw away excess grocery bags, we now keep them for future use since we learned how to fold it. Some weeks ago, my husband bought a block of ice in the market. The plastic bag he brought was torn not by accident but the plastic seems to be decaying.That's when we knew about those biodegradable plastic that is now popular here. So what's the point in saving those plastic bags when they would rot?

As from today 5 p each in England that will raise £730 million over ten years for charity

I keep some to use around the house in small garbage cans that I have in the bathroom and bedrooms. The rest of them I drop off at the local food bank. They are always looking for bags to pack the food in.

We've had a 5p charge in Scotland for a year now. It's hard to see much difference other than people buying the "bag for life" that they seem to chuck away immediately. I've been reusing bags for years and we still seem to have a mass of them at home.

Used grocery bags are very useful and always come in handy, not only in the kitchen, but they have other uses as well. We use the plastic grocery bags here. After unpacking our groceries at home, we store all of the bags in one place. We never throw them away. I can think of several things that I can use these bags for. When I have anything to give a friend, like some fruit from off of my trees, for instance, I can always reach for one of these bags to put them in. But this is only one of the many uses that I can think of.

What do you do with your grocery bags? Do you fold them and keep them handy for storing not only foodstuffs, but other items as well? I find them to be very useful.
I do the same thing you do Caribbean girl but I think we are somewhat behind when it comes to the who plastic bag thing. I see a few places trying to get on board with the go green initiative.

Back
Top Bottom