Guacamole

detroitdad

Legendary Member
Local time
11:22 AM
I made a batch of it earlier today. The jalapeno that I used is pretty damn spicy. What are some ways that I cam tone it down some.

Thanks

More avocado is the obvious answer.

But I had a guac that was really spicy once, so taking a trick from Thai cooking I added ground peanuts. The oil in the peanuts help disperse the capsaicin, although it was a tasty but funky guac after that.

Did you taste the Jap first? I would add 1/2 of what I thought necessary and go from there. If you are looking to tone down already made guac, more of the other ingredients beside just the avocado, as Bucky said. My favorite recipe uses pickled japs and I prefer Old El Paso. I just wish they would offer the whole ones again. I can only find slices now.

Jalapenos - the fresh ones I can buy here seem very mild to me. Some are hotter than others but I can easily eat them whole - well not whole, I mean I can just eat them on there own as a snack.

One great way to tone it down without changing the flavor much (other than more avocado) is to add sour cream. I never intentionally add sour cream to my guacamole directly: I like to taste the avocado. But, it's pretty common to have it on the same taco as the guacamole, so this is actually a time-saver (like shampoo and conditioner in the same bottle, but tastier). Yogurt would be another option.

Another tried-and-true way to counteract heat is with SWEET. This will change the flavor, but adding honey will also reduce the heat. To be honest, I wouldn't do this in a guacamole, but it's something I've done with Asian food successfully.

Back
Top Bottom