12:42 AM
Guinness, Pistachio & Walnut Bread.jpg
“The sacred pint alone can unbind the tongue...”
James Joyce, Ulysses

Ingredients
300g Oatmeal
75g (Doves Farm) Organic Self-Raising Flour
40g Porridge Oats
1¼ Tablespoons Bread Soda (Bicarbonate of Soda)
1¼ Tablespoons Soft Brown Sugar
20g Softened Butter
240ml Buttermilk
100ml Molasses
140mls Guinness, or any Black Beer you can find
40g each Walnuts and Pistachio nuts, blitzed in a food processor*
A handful of Sunflower seeds to decorate the top of the bread
*When blitzing the walnuts and pistachios, leave some texture, and don’t blitz to a powder.

Method
  • Pre-heat your oven to Gas Mark 3, 325°F/170°C, and line a 2lb loaf tin with a paper liner, or grease with butter and flour your tin.
  • Place all the dry ingredients into a large bowl and mix to combine. Add the butter, and rub this in with your hands.
  • Add the buttermilk, molasses, and Guinness, and mix thoroughly.
  • Scrape the dough out of the bowl with a strong spatula into your baking tin, flatten with an off-set palette knife, or flat kitchen knife, and top with the Sunflower seeds.
  • Bake for 20 minutes, then turn the tin around, and bake for a further 20 minutes.
  • Test with a skewer, and, if you find it has not fully cooked through, bake for another 5 minutes, turn again, and finish with another 5 minutes.
  • Leave the loaf in the tin for 10 minutes before removing, and leaving on a wire rack to cool completely.
Tip:
Fill a tea-cup with boiling water, and dip in your teaspoon before scooping out molasses from a jar, it will slide off with ease.

http://cakesbakesandotherbits.com/2014/09/13/guinness-pistachio-walnut-bread/

That looks amazing and sounds so good! I would definitely like to give this loaf a try.

Well, replace the butter and buttermilk and it would be dairy free and vegan. I suggest a vegan margarine or possibly an egg (as @SatNavSaysStraightOn eats eggs) in place of butter and almond milk in place of buttermilk.
plus making sure the beer/stout is vegetarian at the very least! And avoiding the ones with dairy in them like the one I tried last night! Never occurred to me to check for lactose in beer! It set my asthma off and it was only when I went looking for the reason that I found lactose in it! Ahhhhhh

plus making sure the beer/stout is vegetarian at the very least! And avoiding the ones with dairy in them like the one I tried last night! Never occurred to me to check for lactose in beer! It set my asthma off and it was only when I went looking for the reason that I found lactose in it! Ahhhhhh
Blimey! Is Guinness OK?

Blimey! Is Guinness OK?
last time I checked, Guinness wasn't even vegetarian!

Company email (January 2015): (UK)
"In answer to your query however, we do use isinglass, a by product of the fishing industry, for fining all Guinness brewed beers. Isinglass is used widely in the brewing industry although it is extensively refined before use. Its sole purpose is as a fining agent to help remove yeast from our beer, while we accept that some minor traces of isinglass may subsequently remain in the finished product.
We are happy with the technical performance of isinglass in removing yeast although we are conscious that its use may represent a barrier to consumption of our products to some. As part of our ongoing efforts to further improve the way we make our products, we are seeking alternatives to isinglass. To date, we have not found any alternative that is as effective and as environmentally friendly as isinglass."
http://www.barnivore.com/beer/26/Guinness
yep - still the case. Cleaned over fish swim bladders.

Therein lies a challenge.

Therein lies a challenge.
I hadn't appreciated that it was a milk stout only British law doesn't simple it to be called a milk stout because it's not made with milk but with cheese by-products of lactose and whey! Other countries can call it a milk stout.
Next time I will check the labels more carefully, so read Saturday into that when we drive home with the car rattling with the number of beer bottles in it making us look like alcoholics and hoping like hell we don't crash because we'll drown before we get breathalysed! :rolleyes:

I hadn't appreciated that it was a milk stout only British law doesn't simple it to be called a milk stout because it's not made with milk but with cheese by-products of lactose and whey! Other countries can call it a milk stout.
Next time I will check the labels more carefully, so read Saturday into that when we drive home with the car rattling with the number of beer bottles in it making us look like alcoholics and hoping like hell we don't crash because we'll drown before we get breathalysed! :rolleyes:
I meant a Stout version of the above that ticked all the boxes.

I meant a Stout version of the above that ticked all the boxes.
Making the bread suitable should be easy once I have found a suitable stout.
Dairy free marg will deal with the butter and its only a small quantity anyhow which could be omitted completely or replaced with a tablespoon of a bland tasteless oil tbh. Butter is not needed in bread (or a dairy free butter alternative used - there are solid versions available and I have made one which was very good but I don't think it will add anything to this recipe)
240ml of buttermilk is more of a challenge but as stated above almond or soya milk will deal with this, but I think a touch of lemon juice would be needed for the acidity and possibly a touch of corn starch to thicken the solution. The alternative is to make some dairy free buttermilk alternative which uses cashew nuts, probiotics and lemon juice (IIRC - my book is at home and I'm on holiday).

Back
Top Bottom