Recipe Guinness and Ginger Cakes

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
11:47 AM
Using the syrup from a jar of preserved ginger produces a deliciously moist cake.

IMGP1368.jpg

Ingredients
150g butter, melted
100g black treacle
100g brown sugar
200ml Guinness
3 heaped tsp ground ginger
300g S.R. flour
2 eggs
30 ml orange juice
3 tbsp syrup from a jar of preserved ginger

Method
  • Heat the oven to 180C.
  • Place the melted butter, treacle,brown sugar, guinness and eggs in a large bowl and whisk together.
  • Add the flour and beat together until a thick batter is formed.
  • Pour into a 9 inch square lined cake tin and bake for 30 minutes or until a skewer when inserted, comes out cleanly.
  • Allow to cool slightly, then turn upside down onto a cake rack.
  • Mix together the orange juice and syrup.
  • Pierce the cake all over using a cocktail stick and gently pour over the orange and syrup mix so that it soaks into the cake.
  • When completely cool, cut into squares and dust the tops with icing sugar (optional).
#

Last edited:
Well it sure looks good. It was a nice recipe to return to after my resurrection. I so expected this recipe to be from @classic33, I swore there was some of mixed up not to mention the green.

Its not a cake though. Looks like an interesting flatbread though. I happen to have all the ingredients so may try it out tomorrow. It looks more like a biscuit than a flatbread though.

Well it sure looks good. It was a nice recipe to return to after my resurrection. I so expected this recipe to be from @classic33, I swore there was some of mixed up not to mention the green.

I made it last night. It is very easy to make and cook, but I think next time I make it, I will half the amount of oil in it. I don't like 150ml of oil in anything! Curiously you could not actually taste the orange juice, though we used unsweetened and it was orange, mandarin and grapefruit (my OH is very good at not looking carefully at what he is actually picking up off the shelf and this has been an issue over the years which I have had to get used to!)... I will write it up else where, probably under the bread making forum...

Using the syrup from a jar of preserved ginger produces a deliciously moist cake.

View attachment 3281

Ingredients
150g butter, melted
100g black treacle
100g brown sugar
200ml Guinness
3 heaped tsp ground ginger
300g S.R. flour
2 eggs
30 ml orange juice
3 tbsp syrup from a jar of preserved ginger

Method
  • Heat the oven to 180C.
  • Place the melted butter, treacle,brown sugar, guinness and eggs in a large bowl and whisk together.
  • Add the flour and beat together until a thick batter is formed.
  • Pour into a 9 inch square lined cake tin and bake for 30 minutes or until a skewer when inserted, comes out cleanly.
  • Allow to cool slightly, then turn upside down onto a cake rack.
  • Mix together the orange juice and syrup.
  • Pierce the cake all over using a cocktail stick and gently pour over the orange and syrup mix so that it soaks into the cake.
  • When completely cool, cut into squares and dust the tops with icing sugar (optional).
#

@morning glory

Sounds wonderful. Love ginger .. And the recioe is very simple ..

Do you have a synonmous expression for a black " treacle " ?

I am unfamiliar with this term ..

Thanks.
Have a nice day.

@morning glory

Sounds wonderful. Love ginger .. And the recioe is very simple ..

Do you have a synonmous expression for a black " treacle " ?

I am unfamiliar with this term ..

Thanks.
Have a nice day.
Black treacle is a darker, less sweet form of treacle that is physically black to look at. It has more flavour than sweetness.

This is from the infamous wiki
Treacle is any uncrystallised syrup made during the refining of sugar. The most common forms of treacle are golden syrup, a pale variety, and a darker variety known as black treacle. Black treacle, or molasses, has a distinctively strong, slightly bitter flavour, and a richer colour than golden syrup.

@SatNavSaysStraightOn

Here in Spain, we use orange zest or lemon zest in our Almond ( or Wheat flour ) Bizcochos .. Very common .. And simple to prepare ..

There are sponge cakes that also have orange juice in them ..

Thanks for info.

Have a lovely day ..

Back
Top Bottom