Recipe Guinness Chili

classic33

Legendary Member
Local time
11:44 PM
Guinness Chili.jpg

"When I makes tea I makes tea, as old mother Grogan said. And when I makes water I makes water."
James Joyce

Ingredients
1/2 lb. bacon, diced
1 1/2 lb. ground round (ground beef, 90% lean)
2 large onions, chopped
5-10 garlic cloves, chopped
2 12-oz. bottles Guinness
1 16-oz. can pinto beans, juice included
1 16-oz. can kidney beans, juice included
1 16-oz. can great northern beans, juice included
1 16-oz. can diced tomatoes
6 Tbsp. chili powder
2 Tbsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. cayenne pepper
Salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste

Method
In a large stock pot or Dutch oven, cook the diced bacon over medium-high heat until the cracklings are golden but not burnt. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towel-lined plate.

Sauté the ground round, chopped onions, and garlic cloves in the bacon grease until the onions are translucent and the meat is mostly browned. De-glaze the pan with one of the bottles of Guinness, scraping up the browned bits with a wooden spoon. Stir in the bacon, beans, diced tomatoes and the other bottle of Guinness (you may also substitute 1 1/2 cups of water, if desired). Add the chili powder, cumin, and cayenne pepper.

Cover and simmer for 2-3 hours over low heat. Adjust seasoning before serving, adding salt and pepper to taste.

Garnish with shredded cheese, sour cream or other desired toppings.

http://imbibemagazine.com/Guinness-Chili-Recipe/

The return of the Guinness oh how timely. On Saturday when my husband called me from the supermarket to ask if I wanted anything among other things, I told him bring me two Guinness. My son later told me he remarked "I don't know what she wants these for".....of course he knows it's for a recipe I never get to try. Will it be this one? Time will tell.

Easy to make. No excuses @winterybella! You could use any canned beans you like, so no excuses there. Everything should be easy to come by! My feeling here, though is that the liquid content is quite high. I'd be inclined to use only one bottle of Guinness - otherwise you would need to reduce the liquid down in an open pan.

Easy to make. No excuses @winterybella! You could use any canned beans you like, so no excuses there. Everything should be easy to come by! My feeling here, though is that the liquid content is quite high. I'd be inclined to use only one bottle of Guinness - otherwise you would need to reduce the liquid down in an open pan.
There you go again. I did not even notice it called for 2 bottles of Guinness. I thought the 1/2lb of bacon was a bit much but who knows. Do you reckon you'll try this one and where are your peppery recipes.

You got me at Chili ... oh and Guinness too of course. I really like making chili and I like how every chili is different. This ones sounds really good. I have never had Guinness or bacon in a chili before but there is no doubt it would be good. This is on my list of recipes to try. Just have to add a few diced peppers and it would be great for the recipe challenge.

You got me at Chili ... oh and Guinness too of course. I really like making chili and I like how every chili is different. This ones sounds really good. I have never had Guinness or bacon in a chili before but there is no doubt it would be good. This is on my list of recipes to try. Just have to add a few diced peppers and it would be great for the recipe challenge.
I think it meets the Recipe Challenge criteria as it has both chilli powder and Cayenne pepper in it (both of which are made from chilli peppers).

Reactions: L_B
There you go again. I did not even notice it called for 2 bottles of Guinness. I thought the 1/2lb of bacon was a bit much but who knows. Do you reckon you'll try this one and where are your peppery recipes.
I'm making chilli on Friday so I will try this recipe. However I'll use fresh chilli as well as chilli powder and cayenne. As for my recipes....I'm taking a back seat but may pitch in a few. Plenty of time!

I'm making chilli on Friday so I will try this recipe. However I'll use fresh chilli as well as chilli powder and cayenne. As for my recipes....I'm taking a back seat but may pitch in a few. Plenty of time!

You are definitely not a backbencher. I look forward to whatever you come up with and I know it won't be long before you submit some recipes for the Challenge.

I think it meets the Recipe Challenge criteria as it has both chilli powder and Cayenne pepper in it (both of which are made from chilli peppers).
Ok thanks for bringing that to my attention. I didn't really think of it that way.

Back
Top Bottom