Recipe Guinness Chilli (revisited)

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
10:03 AM
As promised I've tried out the recipe for Guinness Chili posted by @classic33, for the The CookingBites Recipe Challenge. Here is the result:

DSCF2873.jpg

Photographed today in natural light augmented by LED.

Comments:
Its a good Chilli recipe with the wonderful addition of Guinness. I was rather concerned about the quantity of Guinness called for. But I followed the recipe. It did seem one hell of a lot of liquid!

However, the recipe states that you should cook the chilli for 2 to 3 hrs. This is rather longer than I would normally cook minced (ground) meat for Chilli (although if I use chunks of casserole steak I would allow this long). In this time, the liquid reduced to the correct consistency. However, I simmered it partially covered, not fully covered as suggested in the recipe.

I used black turtle beans as that was what I had in the cupboard. You could use any kind of beans. I added some chilli sauce (made by a friend of mine) as well as chilli powder. I also added fresh red chillis and julienned ginger as the topping, with yoghurt rather than sour cream.

The verdict:
Its a good Chilli. I think the Guinness does add depth to the flavour. If using ground beef or lamb I think the amount of Guinness could be reduced and the cooking time shortened.

The use of bacon is interesting. I used smoked bacon which added a good smokey flavour to the finished dish.

DSCF2878.jpg

Last edited:
That looks delicious. Thanks for all the tips. I will be making this chili this coming weekend so it good to know the adjustments you made. I am glad to hear that it makes a large amount because I like have extra so I can give some to my daughter. She loves chili but never makes it because there is only her and her daughter and her daughter would never eat it.

Chili and beer is a super combination. I think a dark and rich beer like Guiness would only help make the recipe better. I will try this at some point because it does indeed look tasty. Of all the imported beers over here, Guiness tends to be one of the less expensive brands especially around St. Patricks Day which is coming right along.

That looks delicious. Thanks for all the tips. I will be making this chili this coming weekend so it good to know the adjustments you made. I am glad to hear that it makes a large amount because I like have extra so I can give some to my daughter. She loves chili but never makes it because there is only her and her daughter and her daughter would never eat it.
@ L_B . I've just realised that I made an error when saying that the recipe produced huge quantities. In fact it doesn't. I was confusing kilos and Lbs! The worrying fact is that I used far more meat than the recipe called for, but the same amount of Guinness - yet I still found it to be a LOT of liquid until it had reduced right down over 2 hours. Had I used the quantity of meat specified there would have been even more liquid!!!

The quantity of meat specified in the original will probably feed 3 to 4 people. If you are going to make this then I'd suggest buying the specified amount of Guinness and then using your judgement regarding how much to put in. You can always drink the rest! :D Sorry for the confusion. I'm going to edit my post to remove the reference to quantity.

Whatever you confused, it doesn't matter to me @morning glory. I just love the sound and more importantly the look of the dish. Beautiful if you ask me. I have the day off and this morning I got to asking myself what can I make with at least one of those Guinness before someone drinks them. If I don't make something today I am done with my Guinness obsession.

Whatever you confused, it doesn't matter to me @morning glory. I just love the sound and more importantly the look of the dish. Beautiful if you ask me. I have the day off and this morning I got to asking myself what can I make with at least one of those Guinness before someone drinks them. If I don't make something today I am done with my Guinness obsession.
Go for it! Or just drink it...

Back
Top Bottom