Halloween

lilian4395

Local time
8:37 PM
In my family, we didn’t celebrate halloween. But this year I really want to have a unforgettable halloween.

Can you guys share your halloween routine?

Last edited by a moderator:
We don't really have one anymore now that our kids are older. Our neighborhood isn't as active as it used to be. Now we usually use it as an excuse to drink :)

This year I'm going to a Halloween poker party. I'm dressing up as Ron Swanson.

Found the picture. A few years ago my wife dressed up as pebbles from the cartoon "The Flinstones". We ended up only getting a few kids that night. We partied it up, costume style lol.

colleen.jpg

As a kid, create a fabulous homemade costume from the bucket o stuff mom had stashed in the attic, dress up in that costume and hit the streets to beg for candy. Come back home for cider and fried donuts. Then the adults would go out trick or treating and come back sloshed.

Early teens, dress up in costume and go to a halloween party with school friends. Have fun and dance and talk. Come back home later for cider but all the donuts were gone.

Late teens to young adult, dress up in a scarey costume and carry on the family tradition of setting up our porch as a place kids come to get scared as they beg for candy...my older bro did a vampire castle...i did a scarey fortune teller. Afterward partake in cider and store bought donuts.

In college, pour a couple bags of candy into a large pot, set on a stool outside the door and head to class...classes went to 8 or 9 pm and the kids started coming just before dusk and it was pretty much over by the time i got back to my apartment. Always had left over candy still in the pot so i figure not too many kids came but some.

Now, buy a bag of candy, pour in bowl and wait for kids to come begging for candy but they don't come round so end up eating a good portion of bowl of candy while sitting in my driveway with a glowing plastic pumkin at my side and surfing the internet commiserating with other people online who have a half eaten bowl of candy and no trick or treaters.

On the other hand in my sister's old neighborhood across town she handed out candy to 300 kids before she ran out of candy and turned off the lights. Her neighbor handed out to 500 before calling it a night.

We turn out the lights, and turn down the TV LOL. Don't really celebrate Halloween, not a favorite holiday. However, if I did it would be all about the decorating & the food.

White pumpkins are pretty. Use them as a centerpiece for your table. Fill them with candles or flowers. Dust them with gold if you like.

Roast some mini pumpkins and fill them with a scoop of vanilla ice cream, marscapone, or wild rice as a side dish.

Check out the squash challenge for more ideas.

Last edited:
When our daughter was younger, we did the whole front yard and garage. Even our oldest granddaughter got to see and participate, especially with the fog machine in the crypt. Most everything was home built or altered store bought items. Marie, the flying crank ghost and her crypt were a project. We have a short video of her in motion, but I'll have to see if I can find it.

36788-albums1122-picture7632.jpg

Marie
36788-albums1122-picture7636.jpg

Inside the front of our garage
36788-albums1122-picture7631.jpg

Pumpkins
36788-albums1122-picture7628.jpg

36788-albums1122-picture7627.jpg

36788-albums1122-picture7600.jpg

When our daughter was younger, we did the whole front yard and garage. Even our oldest granddaughter got to see and participate, especially with the fog machine in the crypt. Most everything was home built or altered store bought items. Marie, the flying crank ghost and her crypt were a project. We have a short video of her in motion, but I'll have to see if I can find it.

That's impressive!

And he didn't even show the giant spider and its human victim or the skeleton in the iron cage or the headless horseman with a pumpkin head with flames inside lighting up his features and flame hair, much less the 3 foot gargoyle or the heads on spikes, or the ghoul in a full size coffin.

And he didn't even show the giant spider and its human victim or the skeleton in the iron cage or the headless horseman with a pumpkin head with flames inside lighting up his features and flame hair, much less the 3 foot gargoyle or the heads on spikes.
:eek::hyper:

For anybody that is a Hocus Pocus fan, I found a soundtrack some lady recorded of the "Come little children" song/poem that SJP sung in the movie. I used that on repeat play where you could just hear it from the street/sidewalk from the graveyard/crypt.

The "ghost" sort of in the center is me, No idea how we managed that with a digital camera, but it happened. You can see the "iron" cage with skeleton.

full.jpg

The headless horseman. I can't find a night shot unfortunately.

full.jpg

The spider and part of its victim.

full.jpg

Back
Top Bottom